Which bottom bracket?

jammie*dodger

Dirt Disciple
Hi, can anyone tell me which bb I need for my 1999 specialized fsr comp? Google is suggesting a couple of different ones. I could take the old one out but am riding it almost every day and don’t want to take it out of action for longer than necessary.

Thanks, Rob.

jammie*dodger":2ooq1ulr said:
simdagger":2ooq1ulr said:
73mm with a 110mm spindle according to their specs
Fantastic, thanks. I’ll get one ordered now.

Cheers.

Man that’s a hard size to find. Do you think a 73 x 113 would be ok?

Are the thread types likely to be the same?

jammie*dodger":9rpbflwz said:
jammie*dodger":9rpbflwz said:
simdagger":9rpbflwz said:
73mm with a 110mm spindle according to their specs
Fantastic, thanks. I’ll get one ordered now.

Cheers.

Man that’s a hard size to find. Do you think a 73 x 113 would be ok?

Are the thread types likely to be the same?

Threads will be the same,

I couldn't tell you if it will be ok i just looked at the specification sheet for the bike, your bb will have a shell width 73mm and you cranks will require a certain spindle length...this will affect your Q-factor and chainline. You can get shell spacers to center your BB which will work but it depends on if you're happy with making it work over 'being correct'.

Re:

Thanks. It looks like it’s cheap enough to buy the 113mm. I’ll give it a go and see. I reckon if I have to buy 1.5mm adjustment on the front derailleur I can make that work.

The squeak from the BB right now means I need to do something :)

Re: Re:

jammie*dodger":1o7uqpx3 said:

Tighten the bb? habit of coming loose in full suss frames.

mk one":1o3fbd8f said:
jammie*dodger":1o3fbd8f said:

Good point

One of my Wiliers had the nastiest creaking...turned out to be titanium skewers.

On a full sus, it could be literally any point in the system. Lock it all out, pedal on the flat seated, then try unseated, try it in a stand, see if it creaks without the cranks etc etc

Chasing creaks around a frame can be infuriating!

simdagger":501p1qk7 said:
mk one":501p1qk7 said:
jammie*dodger":501p1qk7 said:

Good point

One of my Wiliers had the nastiest creaking...turned out to be titanium skewers.

On a full sus, it could be literally any point in the system. Lock it all out, pedal on the flat seated, then try unseated, try it in a stand, see if it creaks without the cranks etc etc

Chasing creaks around a frame can be infuriating!

I spent a couple of years chasing crank squeaks only to find it was my brooks saddle

Re:

The 110 length would only be correct.if it was the original crank, change the crank and the length might change

110 (and 107) would give a 47?5 chainlike with the cranks that go with them.
113 gives a 50mm chainline an in spec alternative, which then became.the normal for 9 speed setups and on until all this boost and megamulti large rear ring setups that change every two years.

Back