Where can I get elastomers from?

Suspension parts has them as two blocks and does away with the spacers - I used an elastomer from my Jett xc. I found something I thought might fit for not much cash but will need to check it- I'll have a look later today...

tIB":1jpddda8 said:
Suspension parts has them as two blocks and does away with the spacers - I used an elastomer from my Jett xc. I found something I thought might fit for not much cash but will need to check it- I'll have a look later today...

Tnx will await an update.

Right, had a quick poke and I think the length is around 160mm. I'd previously identified the contec seatpost elastomers as a potential replacement, although at 145 mm you would need to use something to pack out the remaining 15mm- rubber washers each end wouldn't it if the system in the top cap didn't. I wasn't sure on width though, but since it's a 27.2 of post assume the interior is smaller... I thought I had a spec sheet but can't find it, so no gaurantees I'm afraid. eBay has them, I'd appreciate knowing how it went if you go that way...

Re:

So just checked the size of the elastomer and it is currently 150mm long and the plastic rings, which are still a snug fit are 24mm.

It presume that I'll need something a bit longer than 150mm as they are now hard and I assume they'll have reduced in length a small amount.

You could just buy some polyeurothane tube and cut to size. Should work out cheaper than the made to measure stuff from pace etc. I had a load until recently. You just need to know the hardness you need, and can order the right outside diameter, and buy the variety with the internal hole already done. You can drill it yourself but it's flexy and not easy to get right without a way of keeping it straight.

I forget the proper name of the material you'll need, but I think it is polyeurothane rod.

The pace mxcd elastomer is much narrower than the standard rc35 version and might work for you. I bought some a few years ago new, but it must have been sat around for a while as quite a few split when testing the fork after fitting, so if you went down this route, I'd check with pace that they are new, not new old stock.

I did that for my pace forks and until i found a solution for the manitou comps was planning to do the same- don't think it is worth it now since they are off the bike and working ok with the old rockshox elastomers in there.

Do the forks have any kind of damping? If so, springs would be a better replacement than elastomers. I know nothing about the manitou forks or I'd not be suggesting something that could ultimately be silly.

Re:

Being honest I don't know a great deal about the forks myself!

One the crown there is a chamber seal which screws in and when removed I can get to the elastomer, I'll get a pick up a bit later, and remove it.

There doesn't seem to be any springs or other stuff in the chamber other than the elastomer, perhaps back from when this was made that was it?, as it is from the mid nineties I'd guess as the components were mainly M900 XTR and ATB is stamped on the underside of the crown and this was early term for off road bikes.

I will though remove the elastomer and have a gander down the chamber.

I have found this company that sells urethane rods and tubes so will have a look at what they have and give them a call on Monday to see if they can give me any guidance as I haven't a clue as to the hardness /compression ratio of the elastomer.

http://wattspolyurethane.co.uk/products-2/rod-tube/

Re:

So here's a pic of the elastomers;

And I did manage to see that there is something under the elastomer but I can't remove it from the chamber so I can't tell what it is, perhaps this is a damper or some such device. I need a long thin poking device as there is a small Allan bolt the can be removed from the bottom of the fork leg but don't have anything I can use :cry: .

Elastomers dont usually have dampers- theory is that there response is enough. There should be a 'preload' adjuster in the screw ins top bolt, which you can detach the circlip to add extra length to the bolt. All it really does is compress the elastomer a little, which has its uses.

Back