When is Tapered not Tapered?

Re: Re:

elPedro666":198wcvqh said:
Semi I think - Integrated uses the frame itself as a bearing surface I think...?
Integrated means the headtube or something bonded into the headtube acts as the cartridge bearing container. ZeroStack and External (external is aka normal headset in our world) have cups that contain the bearings. Normal is as per retro, zerostack aka semiintegrated use recessed cups containing the bearings.

I can yell you about normal headsets, your on your on with the modern stuff.

Re:

Completely removed old headset and measured up:

Top of Headtube = 44mm ID, 50mm OD, 10mm insert depth.

Bottom = 44mm ID, 50mm OD, 10mm insert depth.

Base of Fork Steerer = 38.2mm OD (1.5")

Top of Steerer = 28mm (1"1/8th)

So the Headtube is a straight 44mm ID top & bottom, probably designed to take a semi-integrated 1"1/8th headset.

To fit my forks with 1.5" (38mm) lower steerer means I need something like Hope's "H" lower headset cup (and keep my existing upper headset parts), essentially an oversize traditional external cup to hold the larger diameter bearings, also the Nukeproof Warhead 44IETS Headset looks like it should work.
The Hope headset for sale that Elpedro linked to (#2 Top, H Bottom) will also work as a complete replacement, looks tempting :)

Can someone confirm that my ramblings make some sense? :?

Re:

Found and bought a Hope bottom race "H" for £15 on eBay, which should solve my taper troubles.

Re:

Phew, the tension was killing me!

Very keen with the advice but when it comes to actually spending (your!) money we all suddenly went very quiet... :oops:

Sounds like a good buy, fingers crossed it does the trick for you :D

Re:

If it works out I'll post a pic of the Franken-headset :)

If it doesn't work I'll post a pic of bike in skip :LOL:

Re: Re:

jimo746":rv10paiw said:
If it works out I'll post a pic of the Franken-headset :)

If it doesn't work I'll post a pic of bike in skip :LOL:

Phew!! it worked out ok :D

Latest posts

Back