When did riser bars first make an appearance?

I kept getting told in 1991 that my '87 Raleigh "wasn't a Mountain Bike 'cos it doesn't have flat handlebars" :p

Interestingly some of the old videos that have surfaced recently show pretty much universal use in Grundig downhill in '93, where most 'amateurs' were using stock bars. Club Roost & San Andreas bikes were all supplied with risers from about '95 on and about that time it was standard #1/#2 upgrade (after beartrap pedals) as soon as you got the bike home, if not sooner ;)

My first MTB was from 1989ish, it was a red Falcon and it had handlebars that looked a lot like this.

scan0025.jpg

I'd say those are risers. However, the marketing slang back them was ATB, not MTB. I don't perceive a difference.

Btw, I rode my Falcon into the back of a parked car whilst trying to do tricks with my Coca-Cola yo-yo. Downtube creased like a cheap suit.

Pretty sure my first ATB had risers too. I got it at 16, so about 1988 Raleigh Maverick. Unsure on my second. the third is the 94 P7 and the fourth would be the 2000 P7.

When I ordered my 2000 P7 I was asked if I wanted risers and I scoffed at the idea.

Back