Wheelies - Who can do them ?

Re: Re:

M-Power":118rvsd1 said:
Most of the yoof use rigids but some can still ride up and down obstacles on a full sus while at it. Thought it might be easier to compress the rear shock to get the right balance point :?

That's why I stress a rigid suits my technique which is most likely unorthodox but it's what I'm use to

Yup. Still do them at 40.
I learnt through grit and determination at age 11 or 12 iirc. I used to annoy many cycling friends by being able to wheelie pretty much any bike as long as the back brake worked! I've done them without a front wheel too although far from recommended.
Not so good (useless) at Manuals.....

My old RC200 F8 was great for them but my '93 Explosif was not. I have s new Trek Roscoe with 27.5 tyres and this wheelies very well as does my recently built '92 Cro-Mega. Anything that climbs well seems to be the thing.

As previously mentioned, a strong but progressive back brake is essential although I would recommend a slight incline to learn on. This seems to put the C of G in front of the balance point which makes no sense but is to do with the tyre contact point vs the rear axle. It makes the front wheel come even if you over cook it a bit. This will allow you to wheelie without brakes......great for no handed wheelies!

Re:

Still trying to learn at 46. Every now and then I get the balance point but I'm so shocked I fall off. Still trying to bunny hop properly too. I can do endos though, always have been able to. Seems more scary thinking about it.

TOMAS":2cry6brm said:
M-Power":2cry6brm said:
konacarl":2cry6brm said:
I Always and without fail give chavs doing wheelies a beep and thumbs up when I drive past them. The confused look I get back always amuses me immensely.
I haven't tried a wheelie for about 30 years but is now on my to do list.

Its school yoof around here. They are amazing and im jealous. They have some great parkour moves going on too. I feel so old but always show interest in it but im tired feeling like an old numpty, so its time to learn to do it again :shock: I suspect its easier to do them on modern bikes or is it just the same as a retro set up similarly ? Heard its best to practise on a slight gradient.

Some serious skills on here @ Scant, TOMAS, Joe-Rides :cool: Bunny hops were std but manuals were not such a big thing bitd.

I find it harder on bikes with rear suspension as when the rear compresses it throws out your balance point, my suggestion is SLIGHT downhill gradient and a good back brake that you know well, also maybe practice on grass. I find a lot of people starting out tend to pull the bars up towards their face, I find this totally the wrong approach, you need to throw your weight over the back end whilst sitting down, arms fully extended and pedal quickly to get the front end up, from there its just a case of controlling the balance point between accelerating on the pedals and if you go too far back then feathering the brake, this is why one the THE most important factors is the back brake, ideally powerful but not too grabby like some disc brakes can be, TBH well setup V-Brakes are ideal :)

^ This...

Basically, you pull the brake and it brings your front back down again. Feather it gently and it helps you maintain the balance point. If you trust you won't loop out backwards then you can lean about 10-15 degrees further back than you would otherwise, which brings you to that magical balance point.

And definitely don't pull up on the bars. You want to more kind of (smoothly) throw your weight backwards then let the front of the bike follow you back, rotating around the rear axle. High-ish saddle helps (probably best around an inch below full).

And flat pedals help you feel more confident too. Although no handers are much easier clipped in...

I find a longer stem actually seems to make it easier to steer, as you can push the front of the bike to one side or the other, by turning the bars the opposite way, but maybe that's just because it's what I learned on.

I did about four laps of Farnborough Asda car park back in the nineties (about a mile). did a similar one in Sheffield after I moved there. Probably went for years without really doing any, and only recently started trying again. I've probably got it to a couple of hundred metres, with the odd bend thrown in, but still quite hit and miss at the moment. Trackstands are more my thing these days...

Si F

Why do people want to ride with one wheel in the air? Strikes me as a bit odd

tintin40":3haylq8u said:
Why do people want to ride with one wheel in the air? Strikes me as a bit odd

Its a challenge, some people rise to a challenge :)

Being able to get the front up, and manual for short distance is good for riding certain trails too.

mark

Re:

42 years old & still misbehaving on one wheel. I can't do the long distances any more half a mile or so was a goodun but then I don't get to ride as much nowadays either. BITD I rejiggled my Avocet 30 computer to run on the back wheel so I could still monitor one wheeled velocity, over 20 mph was sustainable for 50-80yards. Came off the back a few times at speed & it's not nice.

Only bike I could ever manual was a long top tube jack flash when I put Risse Champ forks on it. I think the extra weight a long way up front helps to stabilise the rocking motion & make it less twitchy.

Manuals are whole different ball game...

More about pushing the back end of the bike forward under you, whereas wheelies are more about rocking back to bring the front up. Used to be ok at them, but could never pump through a whole series of jumps on the back wheel, picking up speed like the top BMX racers. For manuals downhill is good. Long forks and a high B.B. help, as you start out closer to the balance point. The more the B.B. is below the rear wheel axle the harder it is, as that forward thrusting motion drives the front end down instead of up.

these people make wheelies look easy.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 2.png
    2.png
    118 KB · Views: 196
  • 3.png
    3.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 196
Re: