What year is this Kilauea ?

Well its going to be pretty :D its back from the powder coaters and its a green/blue colour a bit like Guybes Cinder Cone :cool:

Just waiting for a few bits and bobs to arrive then I'll start building it up, then its probably going straight on ebay as he's bought something else :? it must be bad as he won't even tell me what it is :roll:

I suspect its a VERY cheap full suspension bike :? he asked me to build him a rigid MTB with disc brakes so he's probably bought a full suspension MTB with V brakes :LOL:

So what's the eBay ad going to say?

'Despite its extremely non-standard new paintwork, total lack of decals, totally non-standard disc tab and the fact that there was no Kilauea in the 2001 Kona catalogue, this is a 2001 Kona Kilauea. Yes, honestly it is, and the rear triangle is almost straight too. Please believe me. Pretty please? My pals on Retrobike will vouch for me!'

One for keeping rather than selling I should have thought. Maybe he'll change his mind again yet.

I'll just be honest ;) I won't mention the rear end being out as its probably better than lots of the bikes people are riding around on, if he hadn't had the work done the previous owner would have been happily oblivious to the fact it was slightly out :)

I'm going to put 98 style decals on it as their the last ones I can tolerate before they went silly :LOL: black outline with silver as the centre colour :cool:

Saying that I probably will end up keeping it :LOL: it will be a very nice winter commuter :cool:

pck.jpg

Anthony":1m2lz1mf said:
So what's the eBay ad going to say?

'Despite its extremely non-standard new paintwork, total lack of decals, totally non-standard disc tab and the fact that there was no Kilauea in the 2001 Kona catalogue, this is a 2001 Kona Kilauea. Yes, honestly it is, and the rear triangle is almost straight too. Please believe me. Pretty please? My pals on Retrobike will vouch for me!'

One for keeping rather than selling I should have thought. Maybe he'll change his mind again yet.

Jones":37ppnnpy said:
I'm going to put 98 style decals on it as their the last ones I can tolerate before they went silly :LOL: black outline with silver as the centre colour :cool:
'black outline with silver as the centre colour'? The 98 decals had a white outline. I don't know, sacrilege upon sacrilege. As you know the 98 Hei Hei decals had a black centre with white outline and I've always thought they look quite good. The 2000 Kilauea decals are ok too.

The frame colour is quite nice actually, pretty good for pot luck!

Attachments

• 2000 Kilauea frame size 14 1.8kg.jpg
    2000 Kilauea frame size 14 1.8kg.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 966
I did think about 2000 decals but I'm rubbish at lining up decals :LOL: and that long straight line on the top tube decal would look terrible if even slightly out :? so I chickened out :LOL:

Its going to have modern XT bits on it and avid BB7 brakes and it hasn't cost me much to build, so I don't think I'd have trouble selling it for the price I'd let it go for.

But the more bits I put on it the more I like it :cool: so I'll probably keep it for a while :oops: if only for sacrilegious Sunday morning paper shop rides :LOL:

Amost done ;) camera doesn't like the colour outdoors for some reason so it looks really pale blue but its more green and the decals are silvery grey not white as they look in the pics :cool:

afk2.jpg

My mate wanted me to get him a steel kona but with disc brakes :roll: so I was going to either do it myself or get a frame builder to do it but then spotted this one on ebay ;)

The seller killed his sale by saying when it came back from Mercian Cycles from having the disc tab done they told him the rear triangle was out of alignment :? so I got it for £38 :cool:

I've had it checked and it was out by a whopping 2mm :LOL: the seller said he bought it as frame only in about 2002 but I can't find any mention of a 2000,2001 or 2002 Kilauea :?:

Its just going to have the back end rattle can sprayed black again and a cheap build for him as he's not even willing to spend £30 extra on powdercoating :roll:

Just a bit confused as to what year it is :?: it doesn't specify a tubeset just double butted chromoly but its lighter than my 1998 853 Explosif and has nicer real Ritchey dropouts and not copies :LOL:

dk1.jpg
Apologies for dragging this one up ,
I couldn’t find any info but came across this thread.
This came together very nicely looked fabulous.
Do you still own the bike ?
I’ve had the same frame knocking about for a year or two and I’m kind of tempted to do a cheap build
Avid arch v’s , xt m750 that type of thing.
I really just wanted to how it rode compared with your 98 explosif and earlier Kilauea’s ?

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_3222.png
    IMG_3222.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3221.png
    IMG_3221.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
100% 2001, same as mine before I repainted it and gave it new decals.

I spoke with someone at Kona the time I bought it and he confirmed that the steel Kilauea's in 2001 were a bit of a stop gap as they were not selling any "high end" steel frames by then, with the everything moving over to alu

Back