What would make you turn up at a Retrobike event? Road/MTB

Re: What would make you turn up at a Retrobike event? Road/

Thanks for posting up this thread Robin. I'm very interested in what responses we get, especially from people who have thought about joining a ride but for whatever reason haven't yet done so.

As the Retrobike National Events Coordinator for the past couple of years (not nearly as glamorous as it sounds) I try to keep an eye on what's happening under the RB umbrella.

But just to give a bit context to the whole ethos and intention of Retrobike rides here's a bit of history...

The first organised rides date back to 2007 when Mr Kawasaki organised the now legendary Peak District ride in September. This set a template for an annual return visit.
Rides continued to be organised in other locations by a few individuals on an ad-hoc basis over the following few years until the local area groups were first launched in 2010. Forum members took on the roles as Area Event Coordinators (AECs) for their patch with MrK overseeing it all as National Coordinator. These volunteers could contribute as much as they wanted, but agreed to organise, coordinate and lead/guide rides in their vicinity. This resulted in a more organised approach with more consistency to rides and less date clashes.
Of course local terrain had a lot to do with the nature of the rides, and of course different people have different ideas on what is hard or easy.

Sinnett177 took over the NC role in 2011 and introduced the National MTB Series. 6 or 7 rides spread out across the UK.
In general , a formula has evolved which means Retrobike MTB rides are generally between 20 and 30 miles and last about 6 or 7 hours including a mid ride stop at a cafe or pub. The focus has always been on being sociable events which are more about the bikes ridden than the abilities of riders.
Of course in order to participate it helps if you and your bike can last for that distance, no matter how long it takes...

Organised road rides on Retrobike are still very much in their infancy. The RetroRoadRide series made it's debut last year and, unlike the MTB series, didn't have pre existing foundations to build upon.
So there is an element of experimentation still.

Feedback is of course essential.

It can be a bit irksome when negative comments are made without some form of rationale or suggestions for improvements. It's easier to criticise than it is to put your neck on the line and organise a ride especially in the knowledge that you will never please everyone...

Anyway, back to the ethos of Retrobike rides. The whole point of organising rides is to try and encourage more people to come out and join in with their old bikes.
For that reason the National Series rides at least are designed to be sociable and manageable to a good range of riders, their fitness and their ability. Routes are also configured with easy to follow short-cuts and escape routes wherever possible.
This is generally easier to achieve with MTB routes because they don't cover huge distances and there are usually enough people riding to allow for one or more of the ride organisers to accompany any stragglers.

Local MTB rides are a bit more varied, some easier and some more challenging.

You should always be able to find out what's happening locally by visiting the Area groups sub forums here: --> viewforum.php?f=72
There is also the national and local rides calendar here: --> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=283254

Most rides are publicised at least two or three weeks before they occur, with finer details posted up on 'Announcement' threads.

The road rides have proved a bit more difficult to organise, largely due to the nature of road rides. That is they cover greater distances, at a faster pace, with fewer riders, and fewer gates to stop and chat at.
It would be great to be able to organise all road rides with a long and a short route with a fast and slow group of riders.
Until more people turn up, or we are able to start putting up route markers and directions then that may never happen.

One thing that should always be remembered though is that riding on Retrobike rides is completely free and that the ride organisers have given up their own time, energy and resources completely voluntarily. It's understandable that we get a bit disenchanted with it every now and then.

The National MTB Series has evolved as it now enters it's fifth year. For some rides participation has dropped a bit for which I am neither surprised or disappointed. (HawMaw summarises things neatly in his post)
Besides which guiding 58 riders in the Peak District is a bit of a handful...
Looking at the statistics from the ride sign in sheets over the past three years we are still getting between 120 and 180 individuals joining the national rides each year. More could be added if I were to gather in information from all the local rides too.
There are many regular riders to catch up with at National rides and I've always met new people on all the many rides I've attended too.

Back to the ethos: The series was meant to be a catalyst for encouraging people to get out, meet up and ride the bikes they have been building up, restoring, renovating or whatever.
It was and still is about energising the local area groups, which in most areas, has been a real success.
This is largely thanks to enthusiastic individuals who keep at it despite the rain, mud and whingers.

Finally to quote the aforementioned Mr Kawasaki, "Ask not what your forum can do for you, but what you can do for your forum."

If anyone would like to get involved in organising rides for Retrobike then please PM me.

I think it would be good to roll out the original question into each of the Mtb and road forums as the target audience might not come onto the "rides" forum to read it?

Just a thought

I've only just come across this forum as it's not easy to find from the road section.

I'll put up some links to it.

Done.

I've met some great guys and seen some great bikes through here. Im still unfit though.

South West seems quite poorly attended but the Quantocks national ride should help and I cant wait for it.

Its a catch 22, when the SW rides have a poor turnout im sure it puts off a few from turning out to the next one. Still, even if its just four or five of us, always good fun.

Im keen to hear the views of others.

The problem with the SW is it's such a big area, and so poorly served by the road system, making everything so far away. You have a West Devon group, and an East Dorset group sort of thing going on.

I've made the effort a couple of times to Devon, but there isn't much cross pollination. I'd like to get up to more of the national rides, but it's a bloody long way for a short ride. Not to mention expensive. I've done MM, and am planning on doing 24/12 and MM this year as well as Quantocks

Since joining I think I've been on around 15 rides and they have all been fun. Some were hard work but rewarding when you realise you can do more than expected.

Time has been an issue. Last year I was settling in to a new job so RB was on hold. I even missed the Turkey Twizzler for the first time in years.

Money for travelling has also been an issue as some rides are many miles. That can be offset by good salesmanship at the post jumble.

As a further incentive - just think you can throw stuff at me!

Geography is largely what stops me, living in Vancouver these days :LOL:

If I still lived in Shropshire I'd have been all over the Long Mynd ride coming up as that's where I spent most of my time riding retro bikes when they were still new. I borrowed a mate's old Zaskar the other year and still had a hoot.

In general though, it would be the element of competition that would put me off. I know it's only natural, but if people just pish off down (or more likely....up) the trails as fast as they can go all the time, splitting the group up, then what's the point of a group ride? Also, may as well just take a new bike out and go faster ;)
There is a retro 'Show and Shine' every year outside Vancouver, and while other commitments have always got in the way, it's also the competitive element that would put me off going there too. I don't want to take a bike along only for someone to sneer at it because it has a riser bar (because I actually ride the damn thing :shock: ).

My experience on the RB rides I've been on is:

on the climbs everyone goes at their own pace, but everyone waits at the top of the hill for everyone else, and gives the slowest the chance to recover too. No lording it over anyone for bike spec or fitness levels, just good camaraderie

Sadly lost a lot of my fitness/mojo since I stopped riding over the last two months with the freaky weather and flu but I'm back on it now and looking forward to attending some rides and meeting members. I'm a bit intimidated by the fear of being dropped on rides but its good motivation for me to stop eating so much crap and get the miles in.

Latest posts

Back