What was your "retro epiphany"

I too love the simplicity of my XT thumbies, that are still working even though I slightly obsessively trimmed the clamp to about half it's width to lose err, about 10 grams a decade ago. Nutwit.

Plus 8 speed is enough for me.

There's also a bit of rose-tintedness about retro too, remembering all the kit that has come and gone (and the rides too).

Great site btw

chrisrhayes":1bjo1mkm said:
I slightly obsessively trimmed the clamp to about half it's width to lose err, about 10 grams a decade ago. Nutwit.
Great site btw

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: yeh one of my riding buddies drilled his DX cranks and cut bits off his XT SPDs, what was that about!!! :shock: :LOL: :shock: :LOL:

it's odd but nowadays i don't care about the weight of stuff, just how strong it is... i kill stuff regularly :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

re:

I started riding/racing at the age of 9 (91), lost interest in xc racing when I got a bit older and rode more freeride and did some Dual Slalom racing, ended up with some injuries and just rode some xc recreationally sporadically in the summers. This spring I had nothing to do so I took my P7 out of the shed and started riding a lot again! bought a newer bike but well I like the glory days. But it has been fun following a sport go from underground to mainstream, but the feeling of just riding some xc with your friends or pushing yourself to the max on some dirttrack is just a feeling worth it all. And for that thumshifters, judys and all that just makes it all funnier! taking old shit and doing the bimdingaling in front of all thoose people with a lot of gears and travel, is great...

found an old eldridge grade in a barn in the south island of new zealand and as it was the bike i wanted but dad wouldnt buy me I decided to do it up. that was 2 years ago and now i have 8 retrobikes with one more on the way!!

cant wait to come back to the uk next year and finally meet the guys who have made my bikes possible!!

just got to decide which ne to tae with me!!

Back