What was your "retro epiphany"

My clockwork was looking a little worse for wear, and her indoors said go and buy a new one it looks like shit, well it had been ridden since 92, i poped into a orange dealer and asked for a XT Clockwork and was quoted best part of £2000 so thaught a trip to the paint sprayes will do, after it had been rebuilt i was surfing the interweb one Saturday night and here I am.

'You can check in but you can never leave' as a wise man once sang

Quote:
I sold a retro egg chair to Neil (Badger?) and ended up here

Pretty funny that, Neil phoned me on the way home from yours and said
'that guy I bought the egg chair from had a really nice Yo and loads of anodised stuff!'

Yeh as soon as I opened the garage he saw teh Yo and the Pace and then promptly hugged me.

My bird at the time wondered what was going on...

'You can check in but you can never leave' as a wise man once sang[/quote]

Or as the barman says in the Shining: "but you've always been here"

I was retro by the fact that I could only afford old bikes, came as a shock to discover a group who actually cherished old stuff.

I knew I'd found my spiritual home :D

I rode a Clockwork 1990-1995 pretty much every day then it got nicked- spent a couple of years riding other cheaper and much more crappy bikes and as a result my interest started to dwindle, always rode on and off but ended up on a hybrid trek which almost killed my interest off totally :evil: .

Surfing e-bay one night and I decided to buy a clockwork on a whim FOTS and soon after found this place via a google search.

My love for Mt Biking was reawakened and found out that I had nether the money or inclination to splash out on a modern bike so have been buying and selling cool but relativly cheap retro bikes ever since.

So in a word

E-bay.

Had been riding bikes on and off since the late eighties in between raising a daughter, trying to renovate our old victorian house,damaging my back and moving out from London to renovate another 19th century abode

Bought an old Breezer on a whim about the time this site started and got directed here from Fat Cogs by either Scant or Oldmanbreezer, long time ago now so not that sure

Few things kept me away for a couple of years, but its really good being back and my how its grown, must be mad all of us, but its great ain't it :D

I don't think that I ever had a "retro epiphany" as such. I just build and ride bikes that I like.
But then I'm no purist of course :oops:.

Problem for me is where retro begin and hoarding end? I lived and worked around bike shops during the heydays of MTBs (1992-1997), shops stuffed with Kleins and Pace and the like and these were the bikes that I always wanted and bought bits when I could. But after this time bikes became more generic, more Eastern, more boring....

Anyway, strangly (for someone who was working in the bike trade at the time) mine really came from a loathing of Shimano stuff and being a tight-wad. I hated the way shimano changed every year and that the scene was 'if you don't have the most up to date kit, you're not cool'. At the same time suspension was really kicking in and again, I hated the 'all change every year. I looked back at what had passed and saw that shops like Recycle in Penge were stuff to the ceiling with kit that had cost a small fortune only a year earlier and this was kit that was truely amazing: fillet brazing, CNC - stuff built in sheds by blokes with beards called Doug or Keith or Adrian, rather than some marketing bolloks dreamed up by a guy called Zack with a pony-tail who spent more on a manicure than I earnt in a year and so began my passion.

From the early 90s I'd always bought what I thought were cool bikes (Dave Lloyd, Funk, Titan with graftons, cooks and so on), never bought new but from team guys or shop sales, but had sold them on so that I could upgrade and had ended up with one of the last Santa Cruz bontragers pre Trek (my first brand new frame direct from Colin at Trek), this then went in favour of a San Andy with BAM Z1 etc, a beautiful bike but an embodiment of what I now disliked - shimano, suspension, all the gear and no idea.

So I swapped my San Andreas (which was relatively new and not at all retro at the time) with a Fat Ti and a set of RC30s from Vince at Recycle. The M900 and the hope discs went in favour of a Prescion Billet groupset and a set of Cooks. None of this cost me very much at all but was certainly the best move ever. I was now totally free of Shimano and suspension and the fashion that had infected mountain bikes.

Slowly but surely this kit and the box loads of original stuff I still had from prior builds became more and more popular, to a point where Scant, Jez, Webby, Dunc and theboy and I were all basically sending and receiving stuff on a regular basis via STW (with the use of the word RETRO before any post) and the rest is history...

Bit of context but will get to the epiphinay I promise.

Always rode bikes as didn't learn to drive until 32. This included a lot of cycling when I lived for 7 years in London (including almost never changing gear!) and an 1988 Marin Palisades as I ran a lot of cross country, cycled on the road and it seemed an obvious marriage. Rode quite a bit until 1992 - a Roberts White Spider, a Specialized Stumpjumper and a Klein Pinnacle all pssed through my hands - and then I entered The Wilderness Years.

Fast forward to 2004, dusted off the Holdsworth Avanti and Klein Quantum and started cycling to work. Given my nickname of Tractor (high torque, one speed everywhere, rarely changing gear) a singlespeed roadbike seemed a good idea. That purchased, a local shop had a pimped up early 90s Cannondale for pennies and the two roadbikes had to go as I had a tiny shed. SS on the road was good, I wonder what it would be like offroad. What followed was a conversation with the LBS who said if I had a frame I liked they would fit new dropouts. eBay. Orange P7 frame. Retrobike.

So the epiphany can be traced to October 2005. I seemed to have bypassed, quite by chance, some of the darkest years of mountainbiking and even now the thought of suspension (surely a fad that has outlasted it's stay?) fills me with the sort of fear that a caveman would have if he saw a mirror.

Back