what type/year giant is this?

vincenth

Retro Guru
I'm a bit confused about this giant:
it has u-brakes, which would date it pre 1990
it has the 'new' logo which was introduced in 1991
the colour scheme sort of matches the 1992 cadex model
I saw this bike in an advert and am probably not going to buy it, but I am curious about what year/model it is and all google does is confuse me :facepalm:

Attachments

• $_85 (1).JPG
    $_85 (1).JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 611
  • $_85.JPG
    $_85.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 612
The kit all looks period.. Biopace rings & DX rear mech..? Looks like replacement front brake too.. or is it Mountain LX?

The rear-canti Cadex's all had rear monostays tho, and the chainstays were chunky carbon shrouds with Alu backbones, so it's not a Cadex unless they made them in 89/90..

It looks to be an '88 or '89 Giant that has been repainted with one of the later Cadex schemes. A lot of the Giant range from those years seems to have the rack mounts and dual eyelets on the dropouts, so assuming the DX components were original would probably be the easiest way to get a firm ID, but they suggest it's relatively good, like an Escaper maybe?

Terrago DX had the same componentry in 1991; so perhaps it's an '89 or so Terrago/Escaper/Sierra that's been upgraded / repainted later with rear mech, paintjob etc..

Frame pics:
5431111419_503a318191_b.jpg

5431111161_4d87d4fbfa_b.jpg

Original 89 Dutch specs:
5431112193_f631040973_b.jpg

The Terrago in '89 had Browning/XT, so unlikely to be that. Keep hoping one might turn up on here as it would be good to see one restored, but there isn't one as far as I'm aware.

Re:

thank you for sharing your thoughts.
It didn't come to my mind that it could be a repaint. that would also explain the headbadge

Back