What type of bottom bracket tool

As above, not Shimano, to many splines there.

ISIS style, but not pointy enough.
So I'd go with the above. A picture search makes this seem correct.

So going modern for me but I think that's now the SRAM GXP tool (Was Truvativ GigaPipe/Howitzer) standard tool.

So going modern for me but I think that's now the SRAM GXP tool (Was Truvativ GigaPipe/Howitzer) standard tool.

My original Shimano hollow tech tool fits my Sram GXP bb's.
We really need a photo of the cranks. Does the bb cup not have any model name on it?

Edit: I've gone back and actually clicked on the screenshot instead of just looking at the preview. I originally thought that the silver part in the thumbnail was the tool, but I can now see that's a chain guide and the black cup shaped tool below. I think that tool is the right size and spline pattern for the BB cup, but it's for axle less BB cups. The hole in the tool is for a socket attachment and won't clear the axle. You need to try a spanner type tool.

Last edited:
Having never used the GXP, same tool then all is good.

I only have the older HT2 setups, and a ring that came with a newer HT2 BB to fit the smaller ones, must fit it some day and hopefully not lost the ring-adaptor.
I use the open ring tool for the older ones, can pick them up pretty cheaply.

The cup is approx 43mm
Here's a pic from the other side
It didn't come with the cranks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230531_110348_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_110348_Gallery.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 5
yep, thats a truvativ howitzer external BB.
given that you don't have the cranks, you aren't going to be reusing it. use a pipe wrench.
if you still want to save it, you'll need a spanner, it's the same as a hollowtech 2 tool, there are about a tenner.

adendum
once you've got one cup off the axle can be removed and you can use your other tool on it.

Latest posts

Back