What type of bike builder are you ?

I've always been slow, but now I'm learing to be patient too.

Foibles:

Steel.
Lugs.
Uncluttered seat stays.
Try not to be too much like everyone else.

Lessons learned [so far]:

Build the bike with a clear view of its end use: that way the components should all get on together.

Decide on which tyres you will use before hunting down the rest of the parts.

Be strict on aesthetics. No - really strict.

What I love about all this building and tinkering is the endless variation available within a fairly narrow 'retro' compass. True, the costs are getting nasty, but the range of things available easily balances that. Remember life before ebay?

:cool:

I tend to be an upgrade a part at a time and keep the old part for strip down and rebuild as a spare later person.....

I love the feeling of bringing a shitted up part back to life

depends what mood/how much i've had to drink!!

i go for the workhorse type bike through the everyday rider and into the garage queen category

got my favourite brands and like to buy their stuff and fit it to a decent frame.

I like things that are differnt to every other bike you see on the road/trail

Take 3 months to decide what I want then take just as long to decide what items I'm after for it, have a few beers and decide to be practical and choose different items. Have a few more beers then decide the colors are wrong and that "practical" is not exactly "sleek" so start choosing funky parts that work well.
Oh...and it helps that the bike store next to the one I work at is a treqasure horde of NOS stuff....

Run free

Random and ad hoc - always tempted away from the catalogue build by the plethora of period after market kit, hence I go for frame-up accretions...

Mr K

whim-driven

no-one i knew rode a factory-spec bike back in the day, so i dont aspire to one now.

Back