What to do with my Kona explosif pro

For as little as a couple of hundred you could buy a much newer hardtail or a middle aged full susser. I would go down that road rather than 'ruining' your old bike, or selling it.

well...there you go....different opinions from everybody, so......you decide :D
personally, i would aaargh :oops: :cry: .........
welcome to retrobike :)

zetecmk2":1h8r25qz said:
well...there you go....different opinions from everybody, so......you decide :D
personally, i would aaargh :oops: :cry: .........
welcome to retrobike :)

I'm wondering if I should get my Explosif powder coated or leave its battle wounds? :LOL:

Decisions, decisions eh. ? ;)

Thing is - why do you want it modern? If you're riding big trail centers designed for modern bikes then get one. If you're riding the kind of stuff that seems to be around most of the UK (i.e. nice single track) may as well stick with V's or well set-up cantis and maybe a short travel suspension fork. My Zaskar's a more modern bike than yours and so has sus. forks / Vs but it's still a good old hardtail and I've never hit anything I can't ride on it yet, and the sort of stuff that I couldn't, I wouldn't want to anyway. :)

(Everything seems much bigger and faster when you don't ride as often and you're 20 yrs older ;) )

Ultimately I think the frame is probably designed with a certain era of components in mind and is prob going to look and perform better with those (and yes, that is ignoring the pre-war uber modern klunker elsewhere on this site that I'm in love with :D )

You bought that bike as a teenager. You never let it go over all these years. You're now on Retrobike so you obviously still love cycling, old bikes, good bikes. This means that if you sell your Explosif you will IMMEDIATELY REGRET IT! Don't sell. If you cannot afford to upgrade then don't bother, it's still a great bike as is.

Thanks for all the replies, gives me a lot to think about lol. Think I need to do a bit more research before I decide :D

Difficult one, and as said before lots of differing opinions already posted.

I personally would keep it original, its actually worth more original than messed with should you decide to sell. If you really don't get on with it on the stuff you ride, I suggest getting a more modern second hand bike, set up for the bounce at front, or front and rear. Keep the Kona though, as I guess you kept her for a reason and would regret it. I know when I got my old bike out I realised how good it was, and although I haven't ridden her for 4 months now, that's because I'm upgrading parts and have bought other retro steeds to get my fix. I am however thinking of getting a more modern bike, and if money was no object, probably a 29er or 650B. What stops me is that bikes seem to be much heavier now than they were, and I still have the same mindset I did in the 90s, where weight was everything. To get a lightweight bike with the components I want, I'd have to spend far more than I have.

What is this rougher stuff you talk about. Where are you riding.
Most of the peaks, dales, moors and pretty much all flat paths, bridleways can be ridden rigid if you bones can take it or with a bit of comfort from a large modern tyre or some early to mid suspension.

If any of this lot are near you then just get out riding with them.

For reference given it'll get you £200 to 300 in money, that is not a lot of modern MTB.
And if you can afford the modern thing then just buy it and ride them both for a change in riding style and of course to ride retro with us lot.

Hi, I was in exactly the same position with a KONA Explosif 95 3 months ago. Check out my post. I had some helpful opinions and results of a poll.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 0148&highl

I have gone from keep it original, to swapping P2's to Bombers and upgrading parts with brands available around the time I bought the bike originally. Once the frame is back from being powder coated and I have built it, I will have a sub 23 lb XC racer that will be good enough to ride 95% of trails any current XC bikes can. There are plenty of examples of original spec bikes that get polished instead of ridden, so I decided to do something different.
As far as your bike is concerned, I would agree keep it original because you can't upgrade to Suspension forks and you will struggle to keep up with others because of this. I would suggest sell it and use the money towards a new bike with suspension and disk brakes or buy a slightly never Retrobike like a Hei/Hei,Explosif 95/99 and ride it or a frame and build one to your own spec

FluffyChicken":2fip8jlh said:
What is this rougher stuff you talk about. Where are you riding.
Most of the peaks, dales, moors and pretty much all flat paths, bridleways can be ridden rigid if you bones can take it or with a bit of comfort from a large modern tyre or some early to mid suspension.

If any of this lot are near you then just get out riding with them.

I keep thinking that - sure my local hills and trails haven't suddenly developed massive craggy rocks since the 90's.

Back