What sizes did xt seatposts come in?

In 1990 just three sizes, a quick look at my scans and 1991 is the same.

1993 you get the wider range as provided above though not the 360mm length.

360mm was a DX and XTR length in 27.2. Its not in the XT listing.
I believe DX and XT probably weight that same as DX is quoted heavier but also it uses the longer length for the comparison. No doubt same post just DX has the nice metal finish, not black.

Of course nobody used the XT or DX back then by 1993.
XTR was out (same sizes and the same longer length for 27.2 only) was lighter and was XTR. Yes XTR logo or nothing, alps wasn't black so didn't look scruffy after the first ride.

That and all the much cooler posts by everyone else, Including the same looking Kalloy/Uno posts.

Last edited:
So they did not come in 26.4?

Silly question but would I get away with latheing 2mm of the seatpost or would that compromise the strength?

So they did not come in 26.4?

Silly question but would I get away with latheing 2mm of the seatpost or would that compromise the strength?
0,2 mm probably no, but 2 mm yes. They are made of steel, so the material thickness is a lot thinner than with aluminum posts. If you'd lathe 2mm away, there probably is no post anymore.

Last edited:
Yes sorry I meant 0.2mm
If you are not heavyweight and do only light riding, then you'd probably be ok. The material thickness has been designed for all (from 50 to 150kg), so shaving a bit should not compromize if you are not in the top part of the range. And steel has a lot better charasteristics: bends, no fatique cracking (like alu).

Last edited:
While the 26.4 is available in 1993 (first time it mentions it) you've got to find one.

Why would you take. .2 mm off, you then need to refinish it to make an XT post.
Or get something else...

(what's the reason for and XT post SP-M730 when most are lighter than them? .)

Back