What mountain bikes did you own BITD?

My first was a 1991/2 Townsend Mt Tobin in green/pruple that I adored and spent a bomb on. Zoom stem/bars, USE Seatpin (purple) 200GS group on it and some purple cantis.
I had a set of Mavic rims laced onto the original hubs with purple spoke nipples, Panaracer Smoke/Dart tyres. Then it got stolen while I was on my paper round
Thank you, you've just jogged my memory & it was a Mt Tobin that was also my first "mtb" although I didn't love it quite as much. Mine stayed with TY22/plastic coated Sakae (i think) chainset etc but I did add some 3DV bar ends, bottle cage and canti bolts, and a Crud Catcher... Looking back though at the abuse it took, the frame wasn't all that bad really!

All years approximate

1993 British Eagle Boss - In a glorious pearlescent red. It got stolen.
1994 Giant GSR100 - In a very nice turquoise/blue colour and loved the Shimano EZ Fire shifters. I actually miss this bike
1998 Sunn XCircuit Max - This was stolen and really miss it, I would like to get another one.
1999 Kona Roast - Also stolen, have one Roast but would like another like the one that was stolen.

No bikes have gone walkabout since.

One I did have was a peter grisley mega 10 which I got for below trade price from the shop I worked in. Anyone remember these, big fat alloy frame. Must of been 1995 ish.

- Raleigh Activator
- Raleigh Max Ogre
- A custom thing my grandad built that I always thought was a Cromega but I later found out just some random frame with Alpinestars stickers on 😂

After spending my early years on road bikes I dipped my toe into the MTB world with……

1989ish, Diamond Back outlook
1990ish, Carrera Krakatoa
1991ish, Townsend alloy????
1992ish, liyang AL550

Liyang only sold about 4yrs ago, since then many bikes have been and gone. Think I’m almost done now though. Maybe one last build then I’m going to thin the fleet (some are keepers) and move into the modern era 😱.

Madison 401 1989 - 1992 Stolen UK
Gary Fisher AL1 1990 bought sold NZ.
Cannondale Red Shred 1989. 1994 - 1996 UK bought from and sold to a mate.
Bontrager race lite 1996 - still have. Red rigid original forks.
Bontrager race 1997 - still have. Met blue. suspension forks.
Salsa a la carte kung Fu tubes 2012. 2006 - still have
Charge cooker steel 29er 2014 - still have
Santa cruz heckler 2006. 2012 - 2020
Nukeproof snap - sold
Dialled bikes hole shot - still have
Identiti Dr Jeckyl - Sds still have
And a few others on the way through.
Alloy is a cruel mistress!

Raleigh Aztec second hand was my first full sized MTB, yellow and purple oh yes 😍 rode the wheels off it, learnt to wheelie on it, took all the decals off and off course adorned it with free mbuk stickers. Ah to be a teen again.

Then with my first earnings from my part time job I bought a new '95 Marin Hawk Hill and rode that even harder, did my first (and only!) Xc race on it, eventually wearing out the drivetrain and rims.

Then too many too list, but the Raleigh and Marin were what got me started....

1. 1988 Peugeot Barracuda - way too big and way too heavy, but loads of fun as an intro to MTB.
2. 1991 Trek 990 - great bike, can’t believe I passed it on.
3. 1994 Orange P7 - super springy and great fit.
4. 2007 Scott Scale 20 - very fast but has no soul.
5. 1993 Ritchey P-21 - almost back to original spec which is surprisingly 21lb. This bike is not going to be a wall hanger :cool: but will have a show and a ride set-up. I will put the build on-line soon.
6. 1998 Cannondale F2000 - new buy and needs a rebuid. The essentials are sound but not looking forward to the Headshock service.

I only have the last three still 😟

Back