Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-original parts but era correct

• Modern parts on old frame

• Total voters
MadCowKev":6er2a5m3 said:
pete_mcc":6er2a5m3 said:
I do try and be period correct with the builds but the big driving force is building bikes to the spec that I wrote in the back of my Maths book back in 1989-1992 to while away the hours....

+1 (except it was my A-Level Biology folder)

Same here, GCSE French folder.. :cool:

Tallpaul":2wczfjfl said:
Period correct is my only real sticking point; as for being a replica/bling/functional, that's really down to the individual bike. I've seen good and bad examples of every type.

The only thing I really fail to see the point of is modern, workhorse parts on a retro frame. Fair enough if it's an old frame of yours and you're keeping it going as a commuter or whatever - but why post it on this website?*

*There are exceptions to this, I believe that some modern parts are retro and also that some retro bikes are so timeless that modern parts are suitable (i.e. an RC-300 is still retro, so being built with modern XTR and discs is not an issue for me. Also, some really good Ti frames deserve to be ridden hard and require the componentry to match). But there is a large population here who think retro only means old, therefore this philosophy is perhaps not popular.

Agree hence me putting 2/3 year old XTR on the Hei-Hei

My favourite type of build is what that guy is doing with his Marin Bear Valley.

Neil":3bcpzt08 said:
My favourite type of build is what that guy is doing with his Marin Bear Valley.

Second that.. :twisted: Dedication and Inspiration..

Back