What is your favorite vintage looking touring tire?

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I'm thinking of something nice and fat - like 700C x 35 - would be the maximum that would fit under mud guards on my bike. Currently I have Schwalbe Marathons which are ok, but I'd like something with more of a vintage vibe and maybe with a little less heft. Still want some puncture protection so not thinking of Rene Herse.

Panaracer still makes the Pasela, they are decent and suit retro touring bikes well. I also run Gravelking Slicks in 35c on one of my bikes and really rate them, very similar to RH Bon Jon Pass tyres I have on another bike, just less prone to punctures.
I was thinking of gravel king slicks. Panaracer makes so many tires for other brands it doesn't surprise me that a Rene Herse tire performs similarly to a panaracer one. do you use the pasela that has puncture protection?

Rivendell Jack browns (sometimes available via Planet X) look great and perform. Paselas excellent and prolly easier to get hold of.
I was looking at the Jack Browns. They seem to be in limited supply in larger sizes currently. Possibly a hangover of the Covid supply chain issue?

I was thinking of gravel king slicks. Panaracer makes so many tires for other brands it doesn't surprise me that a Rene Herse tire performs similarly to a panaracer one. do you use the pasela that has puncture protection?
Yes, I am using the folding Pasela PT. They’re lovely and quite light in 38c width.

Michelin Dynamic Classic have a tan wall that is the right colour and ages well, in my opinion. It's not too orange, not too yellow etc. They don't have any specific puncture protection but they're just conventional rubber so they don't tend to pick up too much debris.

Michelin Dynamic Classic have a tan wall that is the right colour and ages well, in my opinion. It's not too orange, not too yellow etc. They don't have any specific puncture protection but they're just conventional rubber so they don't tend to pick up too much debris.
The Michelins look good, are comfortable and don't discolour, but I have never had so many punctures like I did with a pair of those, sadly.

I run 28mm Gravel Kings and they are great, but not for touring with panniers and rough roads, then I will take the Paselas.

I've read that they are very fragile / puncture prone. I'm not pathological when it comes to punctures, but I do want a tire with some robustness for touring.

Back