What is the worst product ever produced for MTB/ATB'S

Single speed cassettes.

'Ooh look, I've got 21 gears on my retro, which will allow me to make the most of the human body's limited power band. Think what I'll do is get rid of them all, that way if I find a steep hill I won't be able to ride up it, or descend it at any great speed, much better!'

I will NEVER understand SS.

TSC.

TSC.":rnre1ux9 said:
Single speed cassettes.

'Ooh look, I've got 21 gears on my retro, which will allow me to make the most of the human body's limited power band. Think what I'll do is get rid of them all, that way if I find a steep hill I won't be able to ride up it, or descend it at any great speed, much better!'

TSC.

winner!

Mr Chicken":ytxl5voc said:
TSC.":ytxl5voc said:
Single speed cassettes.

TSC.

winner!

Yeah, too right yessir.....

TSC.":123yogip said:
Single speed cassettes.

Have you tried it? There's one time when SS if far superior to geared bikes and that's in the mud. ;)

A few of my mates went out on a ride once. There were 6 of us altogether - 2 with SS (including me) and we kept up with the geared boys through all 30 miles! As the saying goes it's not what you've got, it's how you use it!

I can't believe that no one's mentioned those indicator lights that Halfrauds is so fond of.

Xesh":2432lhey said:
Have you tried it?
You mean have I tried going for a ride without changing gear? No - because with 21 gears I will always have the best gear available for the job in hand. Thats the whole point.
Xesh":2432lhey said:
A few of my mates went out on a ride once. There were 6 of us altogether - 2 with SS (including me) and we kept up with the geared boys through all 30 miles!
Did you thank them afterwards for hanging back for you? :LOL:

As for the mud, I have never, ever, in all my years & miles of riding encountered mud bad enough to make me think "Hmm, you know what would sort this out, losing all my gears....right now.....that'd show this mud...."

TSC.

TSC.":3nf018mi said:

It depends upon how fit you are. On the flat I can easily maintain 20mph. Around where I live I haven't found a hill yet that I can't get up on the bike. The only time I failed to get up a hill on my SS is when I took it to the Lake district and even then that only happened a couple of times on a ride.

Xesh":1igb1tql said:
TSC.":1igb1tql said:

It depends upon how fit you are. On the flat I can easily maintain 20mph. Around where I live I haven't found a hill yet that I can't get up on the bike. The only time I failed to get up a hill on my SS is when I took it to the Lake district and even then that only happened a couple of times on a ride.
Fitness aside, are you saying that you could do a 20 mile loop on an SS at the same pace you could do it on a geared bike? (Not a flat loop either, one with uphills & downhills).

The only thing that the SS has going for it are clean lines & weight. But surely you impair the whole principle of what the bike was designed to do? You've taken away it's ability to climb & descend at any descent rate, & handicapped yourself into the bargain.

TSC.

leave it xesh , its not worth it :LOL:

click,click,click,click , CRUNCH , spin , spin , spin , spin

I can't help myself! I see it as a duty to educate everyone about SS bikes. :LOL: I've been successful twice so far. ;)

Back