What is the best advancement in cycling ?

This one is BS approved btw and has in built reflector. Cateye au100 bs
cateye-tl-au100-bs-rear-light.jpg

We kinda need a caveat of 'best advancement since...' but lacking that I'd have to go with Shimano entering the MTB fray. They made hubs that last. They made gears work fast and accurately under pressure. They gave us the mass market linear (V) brake. They brought working clipless pedals to the offroad arena. I know they didn't invent a lot of this stuff but they made it work in an affordable industrial fashion.

mtbfix":23vxivx3 said:
We kinda need a caveat of 'best advancement since...' but lacking that I'd have to go with Shimano entering the MTB fray. They made hubs that last. They made gears work fast and accurately under pressure. They gave us the mass market linear (V) brake. They brought working clipless pedals to the offroad arena. I know they didn't invent a lot of this stuff but they made it work in an affordable industrial fashion.

I almost just said Shimano, but I didn't want to get pelted with rocks! :shock:

utahdog2003":27j31ox5 said:
mtbfix":27j31ox5 said:

I almost just said Shimano, but I didn't want to get pelted with rocks! :shock:

:LOL:

But to be fair would mtb use be as popular today if they had stuck to fishing and golf components. They made it for everyone's pocket, and no matter the cost, they all did the basic functions and a bit more besides.

On road bikes - Campagnolo ergo levers - absolutely spot on! :p

Off road bikes -- realisation that steel is better than aluminium in many ways, for frames :shock:

Back