What is mid-range?

legrandefromage":2cx48zz9 said:
dsc01711_141.jpg
That's just dreamy ;-)

The Orange is nice, but I love this.

drystonepaul":3d1ltjni said:
kaiser":3d1ltjni said:
Something Jimster said struck a chord, if whats been mentioned is mid range is everything else(above) high range?

I think it's about time somebody drew some sort of diagram or graph...

Powerpoint surely :LOL:

What is mid range to you or I is damned expensive to some and bottom of the pile to others.

thinking about it has pooped my brain, its all too much for me...!

kaiser":expjshki said:
Something Jimster said struck a chord, if whats been mentioned is mid range is everything else(above) high range?
Um, not-mid range ;-)

After more deliberation I have concluded that its manufacturers who define the class of bike you have. GT, Kona, Spesh etc are all mid range regardless of groupo. They may puncture the high range threshold sometimes but generally stay in their bracket. Furinstance it doesn't matter how much xtr you pour on a trek it'll always be mid range. And similarly bushpigs Merlin is regarded as high end simply because its a Merlin. Bikes are defined by manufacturer and not the tubeset or groupset. You don't say I have an LX bike or a Tange Prestige to describe your bike.

To me midrange only can be attributed to bikes that are original to the manufacturers spec at the time of sale when new.

A boutique frame with midrange components built by the rider or previous owner not adhering to original spec is not midrange. Though it may be a visually pleasing ensemble.

A midrange frame married to midrange components but built up by the rider or previous owner is more difficult to define but is probably midrange.

Maybe we need a free for all any build style section in BOTM and then rigorously adhered to low, mid, high range original spec sections.

When I think midrange, I think about the bike you would talk your buddy into getting when they first get into the sport. They all want to spend about $300 (US) and you need to convince them to spend a little more. My argument is always the same, let me help you find a bike that will stay in tune. As long as it shifts good and brakes good, you can worry about the weight later. That is a midrange bike.

cutting aside limited run race-spec stuff i remember most top bikes were £1000-£1100 or so in 'watson and cairns'(anyone remember them?) so,in theory we have £400-£600 of mid range. back then a (early-mid nineties) marin bear valley or say something with a girvin flexstem seemed to fit that price bracket.LX and half a grand sit comfortably in my mind as mid-range.
imho. :)

all depends on era imho

mid range generally is the affordable everyday parts,bottom is mass produced not as nice quality and top is finest quality and better looks etc

eg
shimano tourney,70gs/100gs/200gs is bottom

300lx/400lx/500lx is mid

deore lx/dx/xt and xtr is top

within these ranges they have there own top,middle and bottom as well

i think lol :D

Back