What GT frame have I got here then?

CMT

Dirt Disciple
Hello all! Been a long time since I have used a message forum but have been reading loads of great things on here so thought I should sign up and get involved really.

I recently picked up a GT as I've always loved the triple triangle design and had a Zaskar in my youth but I'm not 100% sure what it is so hopefully some here might be able to help.

It was sold to me as an Edge which it may well be but the serial number doesn't seem to tie up with the normal convention from what I can tell, I've been searching the forum for guidance but I've failed to work it out.

Anyone got any ideas? Serial number on dropout is 03980699 and there is a 54 stamped on the bottom bracket. I've emailed GT who have passed me on to another company but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Photo%2014-06-2017%2C%2018%2051%2045.jpg

Photo%2014-06-2017%2C%2018%2052%2004.jpg

Re:

Hi thanks for replying, I too thought it probably meant a 98 model and have checked through that catalogue but it doesn't haven't an aluminium Edge in it for that year so was wondering if might be a Strike. Not sure if there are any other tell tale signs to be looking for?

Re:

NeilM - top tip on the mech hanger! Just grabbed it out of the parts bag and cleaned all the grime off, it's a BETD hanger number 24

Photo%2018-06-2017%2C%2010%2057%2055.jpg

Fits Bikes

Aero Edge
Attack 1998
Road 1996-1998

So looks like it may well be either a Rage, a Strike or a Force as there isn't an aluminium Edge in the 1998 catalogue. Don't think there is anyway I'll be able to tell which of those it is unless someone from GT comes back to me.

Either way on with the 90's retro mod build I guess!

Re:

By the way this is what I started out with

Photo%2017-06-2017%2C%2021%2034%2003.jpg

An interesting mix

Decided I'd strip it back to bare aluminium and polish up, didn't realise all paint strippers are rubbish these days - next time I have a project it's going to Argos for shot blasting.

Re:

My wife likes the bar tape.... which is reason enough to remove it. :mrgreen:

There would have been a sticker on the seat tube, just above the BB at some point, this would have told the the alloy the frame is made of and so which frame it was.

A nice retro-mod build, excellent

Re:

It was actually two lots or bar tape on to make the two tone colour! It's already in the bin...

Unfortunately there were no decals at all, I could make out the outlines of it saying Edge on the top tube but they could have just been added after the paint job.

Ultimately it was £150 and I drive from Bristol to Birmingham for a nice frame and a 105 5800 groupset which seemed a bit of a bargain really.

Have missed out on a few sets of Spinergy RevX which I know aren't great wheels but I always loved the look of them. Luckily however I just grabbed something even better:

Photo%2017-06-2017%2C%2020%2004%2051.jpg

Spin wheels came on some GT bikes of the era so should suit it better. Hopefully they will arrive next week. Probably paid a bit much for them but hey ho.

I had an alloy GT edge and I don't recall it coming with a replaceable hanger. GT made other alloy road bikes as well - I see them pop up on CL occasionally. So they had a series of bikes ZR 3000, 4000, 5000 at one point.

Back