What got you into riding?

'Tracking' on old converted racers in the '70s; when MTBs appeared on the scene it was just what I had been waiting for, a bike meant for the job ;)

all my mates had mtbs (all crap), and my brother got the Kona below - he used ot say it had straight forks like my bmx (hand-me-down from him), my mates used ot say by the time i got a mtb, people would have flying bicycles or something like that, first mtb was a GT, so that put pay to that. My first time with gears was one of the best feelings ever, after getting to 13, just riding bmx. I also did a paperround, and used ot pickup MBUK for my bro, so in the end started buying it myself, girls who needs them, mtbs are much more fun and far less trouble (thoughts of a 13 yr old - not really changed since)

On a sub note, i remember the typical childish querrels my mates, one was mtbs beginning with U werent allowed on his driveway - a few of my mates rode, universals, and Uniparts. :D

Went to Halfords in 1990 to purchase a new bike for general riding around with my mates, my Dad spotted a reduced Specialized Hardrock in the corner of the store with a reduced tag, I wanted a Carrera :oops: , he got his way. Then bought a MBUK mag and it all went from that :LOL:

I have had a lifelong passion for bicycles and motorcycles which started at about three years of age which was/is not helped by a father who is nuts about motorcycles ( still races MX and rides trials even though he is wrong side of 60) and he did a bit of bike racing in the early 80's which started me bike racing too.

Wu-Tangled":rwkeoqm6 said:
Mtb's - Summer 1987. Richmond Park. Muddy Fox Courier. Friend at school called Luke Peters (not on here are you Luke?)

I'm not Luke but I was riding in Richmond Park with school mates in the late 80s. We'd cycle from Twickenham on our steel monsters (Ridgeback 601 STI, 602 and possibly a Muddy Fox courier, I forget what Lloyds was). We'd always come along the tow path and pop into Richmond Cycles for a perv over the latest kit before heading along to Richmond Park. Used to enjoy the downhill section from Richmond Gate down to the playground at Ham gate. On special occasions we'd ride from Twickenham to Virginia Waters for an off road session. That was quite a trek on the old heavy monsters let alone the ride once we got there. One time I suffered heat stroke at Teddington on the way home. Couldn't breathe, and somehow managed to phone dad and get him to pick me up. Fed me salt water and all was well again.

Had always been riding even Pre-BMX in Crane Park. We were lucky to have great jumps and technical singletrack right near the house (shot tower, 'the bumps', kneler gardens) if anyone is familiar. Got some ancient photos from my parents house on the wekend to catalogue my entire bike history on Flickr :)

Living in Manchester, 90-94, on a course with MTB'ers. Tom (Alpinestars), Eric (Marin EG and Rocky Mountain) etc, where are you now? Proximity to Peaks, Dales, Lakes etc was too much to resist.

Grew up in rural Suffolk, watching Kickstart every week and then spending the rest of the day in the garden trying to copy everything Dougie Lampkin did on the show. We had a shed with at least twenty bikes in it. Most had solid tyres and stirrup brakes.

The family moved to West London when I was about ten and I built my first racer with my dad. Moved on to a brand new Claud Butler mountain bike when I got to secondary school and rode it there every day. Used to ride UP the hill from Kingston to Richmond Gate every afternoon on the way home. Probably couldn't do it once a week these days...

Sniffing girls saddles. 'nuff said. Oh yeah, and riding the south downs on a grifter wasn't all that gravy so i got a... erm, Peugeot... :oops:

Ive always had bikes (Budgy, Striker, Grifter XL) but it wasnt until I got my first Raleigh Burner in about '83 maybe that I became "into" bikes.
After leaving school and starting apprentaship I started in the main engineering workshops on the Steel Works and met a couple of guys who raced moto-cross but rode MTB's for training. Looked like fun so I bought my AlpineStar and its kinda gone from there really.
Started training on the road, then got into road racing in the Lincs League etc. Met my girlfriend who did some running, but no riding, got her going on the Ally Star and bugger me if she didnt go and turn expert within 2 years of starting!!
Now Bedford Junior is showing signs of being the next Juliana Furtado after her first race at the NPS at Sherwood earlier this year :)

Back