'what good bike parts have you broken' thread?

Re:

I think my biggest equipment failure was tearing the freehub body off a WTB hub while riding up the steep hill up to Shrimp Rock on the main loop of the Slickrock trail.

That was quite a long, hot walk out.

Re:

Miles from home I snapped the O.E. seatpin on my Klein so rode home standing up. It was the ride from hell (with lots of stops).

Learning to wheely I bent the steerer tube on my Scott so much so that I could barely move the bars to steer. I tried "just riding along" but the LBS was having none of it and so bought a Project Two replacement from them (a worthwhile upgrade too).

After an over the bars moment I cradled my head and kept rolling, I thought that I'd got away with it again but when I got home I found that my helmet was in a terrible mess, so glad it wasn't my scalp and skull, (thank you Giro).

Apart from that, a modern rear mech, a new rim and a road tyre with less than a mile on it.

Re: Re:

shedobits":16vcfxjs said:
Miles from home I snapped the O.E. seatpin on my Klein so rode home standing up. It was the ride from hell (with lots of stops).

This happened to me a few months ago. Heard a pleasant 'tinnnnggg' and my saddle fell off. The bolt on my Raceface seatpost had sheared and that was that.
Obviously miles from home and in the middle of a forest.
I went for a 2 bolt Nitto as a replacement, just to be sure.

Ringle Moby seatpost (26.8mm)
M900 RD
Grafton Joystix (non drive side)
Kooka Crank (drive side)
Plenty of high quality chains (ie. Shimano 7401)
Ringle Slamma Jamma Headset

I'm sure there have been some that have slipped my mind.

I'm a big boy, so I tend to be hard on equipment. Sheared a Stronglight crankarm (half right) in half on my old tourer. I had a spate of car/bicycle interactions while commuting to university in the early 90's, one snapped the derailleur hangar on my 90 Cannondale special edition (blue and white with the splatter graphic between, straight leg steel fork, mid grade Suntour bits and the truly awful original gripshift, which I'd upgraded to xc thumbies the week before supermanning over the hood of the car that turned in on me. That bike was replaced with a 91 SM 1000, tacoed the Ritchey rear rim hopping a curb on its maiden ride home from the shop, then collapsed the front on a short rocky downhill at an XC race a few weeks later. T-boned a car that turned left in front of me at speed, bent the front wheel back almost even with the rear. Had another fellow, pass me, then turn in, running over and crushing both wheels, fucker drove off without stopping. I've lost count of the stripped freehubs, I'm a big fan of the replaceable XT ones, more for their serviceability than strength. Luckily, never had a stem or seat post failure both sound scary to me. One of the guide plates on my trusty old 737 pedals packed it in once, along with a fair few rear derailleurs and a half dozen or so helmets that gave their lives to prevent me from drooling on myself for the rest of my natural.

Cheers, Ted

Re:

Pulling up at the traffic light and taking a phonecall at the same moment resulted in a 90 degrees bent Trek System 4 handlebar. I think this was about 140 gram.

Attachments

• IMAG0045 klein.jpg
    IMAG0045 klein.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 503
So many bits over the years. About 50% through crap spannering, and nearly 50% through crap riding.

Biggest break was shearing the headtube off my Pine Mountain at the Forest of Dean. One of the best downhills jumped across another trail about halfway down. Seriously motoring, I landed a bit hard and snapped the frame, wrapping myself around a tree and breaking two ribs in the process. Just before my 21st birthday, which should have been a dampener on the celebrations. But alcohol is an anaesthetic, right? It was an awesome downhill though. I remember a ride buddy bottoming out his brand new RTS and dinging the seat tube on the same jump!

Managed to snap the chainstay on my old 91 Carrera Krakatoa riding back from lectures. Must have been my Power Awesome, rather than a rubbish frame.

Managed to totally taco a front wheel on my Cannondale Badboy Lefty JRA on my commute through Battersea Park. Still no idea how that happened!

And knackered the X-Lite ski bend on my Pace in June after crashing in Bedgebury. The clamp part pretty much punched through the knurled alu bar bit after I sent the Pace cartwheeling down the trail. And cracked another rib :facepalm:

I also remember a mate on pretty much his first ride on what must have been one of the first Judy DH forks in the country. He knew one of the guys that ran Caratti Sport BITD and got some Judys before they went on general sale. Landed a bit vertically after a downhill followed by unexpected small drop off (Forest of Dean again). The force going through the forks was pushed back by the immovable object of a Zaskar LE frame (Newton's third in action!) and snapped the steerer and crown. Zaskar was unscathed...

Back