What do you hate seeing on a gorgeous retro bike?

JeRkY":3s0omzr3 said:
1-Spin (or any other 3/4/5/6 spoke) wheels.
2- A cheap rusty chain lock without a protective coating wrapped around the top/seat tube for transport/storage purposes.
3- A scally
4-Single speed conversion kit
5-Risers & bar ends
6-Motocross style front mud guards
7-Gel saddle covers (or cheap big fat comfy saddles)
8-Cheap cranks on a bike that deserves better.

Agreed. Add to this those god awful Panaracer tyres with coloured edges. :evil:

I tend to think if it was okay BiTD then it should be okay now - within reason ;)

But then again I, also, really dislike bar-ends on a riser bar; coloured-wall tyres; big, clumpy saddles; SS (just closet Fixies anyway!); mis-matched components; I'm bored now...
yawn.gif

1. saddle pointing either down or up
2. bar ends pointing up
3. bar ends with risers
4. lay-back post, esp with saddle far back on the rails
5. over-long stems
6. any part chosen for period-correctness, even though it doesn't work
7. unsubtle anodising, esp on posts and bars
8. gaudily-coloured cables and tyres
9. poncey white saddles
10. anything else that's poncey - I mean, man up, it's a mountain bike

probably about to get flamed for this.....

catalogue correct spec.

I hate this, bikes get used, and nothing is/was ever perfect from the factory, we all spent loads of dosh and time customizing our bikes (now and back then) with the best or most appropriate parts.

Taking it back to exact original catalogue spec is on the same level as building a bike with the intention of never using it to me. It seems you're more interested in the product sheet that the actual ride/feeling etc. I guess actually, I'm talking about people that build to spec then hang them on a wall etc. It doesn't bother me if you thrash the bolts off it in original spec :)

Period specific parts I get, absolute adherence to catalogue spec just seems odd...there are always bits you want to change!

Other than that, not a lot, I love to see people using and enjoying their bike!

If I had to pick just one it would be riser bars on anything pre '95. Unless they are original equipment and in that case they usually look cool in a retro dorky kind of way. One Man's Opinion

Back