What did I just buy?

to use as a work bike with an electric front wheel kit fitted:
Beware front wheel motors.

Taken from an ebike forum im on. New chap had this happen to his, and general consensus was it was the high degree of torque the front wheel motor produces.
This was a Swytch kit, which i wouldnt have said was particularly powerful as wheel hub motors go.
Has anyone had this problem, we had our 2 biked fitted and working with swytch kits. Took them both out for a 4 mile ride, no problem. Then on the second day we were in the middle of the woods, having a stop, I got on my bike to start up and the front wheel fell of. The 2 bike forks at the front had completely sheared off. We got the bike home and checked the wheel from the broken bike on the other bike, seemed to be no problem. My other half decided to take it for a test ride and the same thing happened, front 2 forks sheared off. I can't say I have much confidence in the same thing not happening again even if we do get the bikes repaired.
20230508_153433.jpg

The above fork looks a lot beefier than the one you have fitted.
This is just a heads up. I dont have any other info, and cant supply any opinion as to how or why this has happened as im more the mid drive/rear hub type. But just so you know.

Given any failure on a bike is something unwanted, having a front wheel come off is probably in the grand scale of issues, right at the very top of those you really dont want to happen :LOL:
Its a basic rockshox, but still not a cheap nasty affair

Back