What Crankset to use on 1995 Marin Bobcat Trail (replacing recalled part!)

dannykryan

Retro Newbie
Hi Folks, first time poster here!

Currently I'm really enjoying doing up a lovely 1995(?) Marin Bobcat Trail (see pic attached) and have found that after giving her a good going over, reassembling and installing a new chain, my gears run perfect BUT the bikes chain has now started skipping!

So, I ordered a replacement cassette and was looking for a replacement crankset when I found out the Shimano FC-MC12 (see pics for more info) crank on these bikes was recalled by Shimano in 1997 - amazingly, Madison, Shimano's supplier in the UK have agreed to honour the recall and replace the part. Happy days, but!...

I could be waiting weeks, putting me off the road and seeing as Shimano wont be giving me anything but the bottom of the barrel parts, is there another new crankset that I could install on this bike that would play nicely with the stock rear derailleur and BB?

I'm afraid I'm only starting out on my bike maintenance journey and I'm not sure what will or won't work.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20221010_095054.jpg
    20221010_095054.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot from 2022-10-11 21-17-00.png
    Screenshot from 2022-10-11 21-17-00.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 21
If your looking for a NEW relacement try searching for Shimano 42 32 22 Square taper chainset.you should find a few options for around £35/40

If it were me, I would not buy a new crankset: most are all black and not really in keeping with the look of the bike. I would look for a good condition STX RC crankset from the 1990s: they are more in keeping with the look of the bike, they have replaceable chain rings, they work with the same 110-113mm spindle bottom brackets as the crankset you've had, and they're a nice little upgrade over what the bike came with (without being over the top). I would look at the For Sale section here first; if no luck, perhaps put a post in the Wanted section; failing that, look at eBay.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks very much for your replies, they're really helpful!
I agree with @CassidyAce that the STX is a nice replacement and I was lookijng for something silver...
The big black lump of a modern crank would look so out of place!
So, do you think that eBay listed STX crank @slackboy posted would work? Only, I'd hate to buy it and still have an issue because it's worn.

If your looking for a NEW relacement try searching for Shimano 42 32 22 Square taper chainset.you should find a few options for around £35/40
Thanks for your help. Will any square taper, triple crankset from Shimano do if it has similar tooth counts?
The stock FC-MC12 has 24, 34, 42.

Doesn't look too worn to me. I'd buy it
I actually purchased it on eBay last night but after doing some more research I cancelled the sale!

Turns out the chain wheels can't easily be replaced. The outer and inner aren't too hard to replace but the middle serves as the bracket for the smallest one so can't be swapped for a new one.

I'm starting to see why so many people are upgrading to modern 1x and 2x systems... you just can't get the chainrings for older systems now.

Would I have more luck with a Shimano M739 crank? Seems to have three separate chain wheels:

Or, would I be better off upgrading to a modern system which overall might save me both time and money!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've actually got a specialized one for sale at the moment if you are after something cheap.

Back