What could I use to replace the collapsed elastomer on my GT LTS?

tristanspeed

Dirt Disciple
I just bought a relatively tidy but unloved GT LTS-5, the motivation being to use its 7-speed parts and wheels on another frame. Now I have it at home, I'm thinking the LTS is not a bad looking bike in GT blue and yellow, and so I'm asking myself if I could I make it rideable for a bit at least? Problem is, the rear elastomer shock has squished into a sticky mess, leaving the top of the shock assembly touching the seat tube. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for an 'object' that can replace the collapsed rear elastomer and make the GT frame at least have the correct geometry and wheelbase? Has anyone got a quick and cheap hack to get it working again?

I have heard people use car suspension bushes to get them by (land rover comes to mind, did do this once on something, I forget what or why, they were pretty hard so not much travel but in your case would get the rear end set up and give a little but of rear cushioning).I think someone on here makes and sells elastomers for other bikes like proflex, maybe they fit, maybe he can make some to fit?

Last edited:
I went down this road. Ended up importing an elastomer from USA for around £80 inc shipping: https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/gt-lts.html

I'm sure it's possible to DIY one or use AN Other car part. I did start by buying some solid elastomer cylinder online and wanted to drill it out but I didn't have the required tools. From memory the length was around 80mm but I could be wrong on that.

There are alternatives if you are ofaire witha bit of tinkering. Such a v shape boat/keel rollers.

See...

And

40mm hard to get but you get the idea.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
So the spec would be 50 mm diameter and about 80 mm length, or shorter? Those Polyurethane rods might work quite well. I had been thinking of using two or three car suspension bushings, as you can find them in the right diameter, they have holes in the middle, plus they're lovely and cheap. I don't actually mind about not having much 'give' in the rear suspension, I just want to be able to ride the bike a bit. The original elastomer, or what's left of it, was very, very squishy, like a jelly cube, but I'm guessing this wasn't their original state, they must have been firmer, right?

So the spec would be 50 mm diameter and about 80 mm length, or shorter? Those Polyurethane rods might work quite well. I had been thinking of using two or three car suspension bushings, as you can find them in the right diameter, they have holes in the middle, plus they're lovely and cheap. I don't actually mind about not having much 'give' in the rear suspension, I just want to be able to ride the bike a bit. The original elastomer, or what's left of it, was very, very squishy, like a jelly cube, but I'm guessing this wasn't their original state, they must have been firmer, right?
Yes they go soft and sticky over time (UV?). Mine was like jelly too, completely unusable. I'd be interested if you find a cheap solution!

I imported the replacement from the USA as well, but found both the medium and hard ones too soft. It seems the original 1997 elastomer used isn't as good as the 1996 elastomer. So I've stuck with my 1996 LTS-3.

Back