What Chainset?

RooKilo

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi All,

I've had this Campagnolo Chainset since '95 and have always believed it to be Athena but I've been told recently that it may be Veloce? Can anyone confirm this please as I'm about to sell it and don't want to give it an inaccurate description.

Bigger pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rookilo/se ... 305417691/

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• DSCN1817.JPG
    DSCN1817.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,271
Hi Roo :) Definately NOT Chorus my friend.

I suspect Athena, but like Jim, am not 100% because of the finish, it looks as others say "lacquered". I have an Athena on 1 of my bikes and its is anodised with a super smooth high class finish, BUT same dome shaped appearance.

I only know for sure, Campagnolo seriously messed around with the quality of their stuff through the 90's, hence the chaos and confusion with identification of nearly all their gear from that period.

Xenon have the same appearance, but where simply awful, with some kind of spray on coating on them. The cranks anodised seriously quick and went powdery. I know this because I recently re-polished 1.

To my knowledge Veloce had thin chainrings, that looked cheap and pressed out, not very campy quality at all. Veloce rear mech was unstamped on the fixing bolt. Chainring bolts where also unmarked with the usual campy stamp on them. Veloce was a cheap set.

To add further to your dilemma, Chorus 2nd gen was made in 2 styles, the early 1 was pure class & quality, milled sections, very precise, the second era of the same was cast/pressed out no milling to the rear. I know this because I have both types fitted to 2 of my other bikes.

I guess my point is this, " It may be Athena from the back end of production when they started getting real sloppy about their quality ". Shape is Athena 100%, but what Campagnolo shipped it out as is anyones guess buddy :)

Here is what Velobase have to say:

Athena was below the C-Record and Chorus groups in the late 80's and into the 90's. The cranks are very similar to the Chorus and Croce d' Aune groups and are often confused for one another.

The Campagnolo Athena crankset is manufactured from forged Avional aluminium, stress relieved, polished and anodised to a jewellike finish give the Athena crankset a look that is distinctly Campagnolo.

The crank arms are availabe in your choice of either 170mm or 172.5mm lengths. Complementing the crankset are chainrings in a full range of sizes, they are available from 39 to 44 teeth for the inner and from 48 to 53 for the outer. Like all Campagnolo chainrings the teeth are precision machined, one by one, not stamped like most other chainrings.

The pic is borrowed from their site as reference. Hope this helps buddy, yours Laz.

Attachments

• velo-athena.jpg
    velo-athena.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,193
Here is what Chorus looks like "unmistakable curve up towards the crank bolt holes"

Attachments

• velo-chorus.jpg
    velo-chorus.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,191
The more I look at them, the more I realise they are exactly what I polished recently. That unmistakable "thick coating" and sprayed on silver look about them.

I took mine off a Koga Miyata with Xenon bits on it, but perhaps Xenon didn't have cranks in their groupo. It did have Mirage STI's though, and Mirage Hubs, so Mirage looks like the glove that fits.

Not Athena, Not Chorus buddy, that's for sure :) Yours Laz.

You can download the '90 to '95 Campag catalogues in zipped hi-definition jpeg format from Velobase:

http://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/CatalogScans.aspx

I didn't go through them all, but the best matches I can see are '93 and '94 Veloce, or '94 Stratos, all of which seem to have roughly the right form and finish. By '95 the group names appear on the parts. '95 Avanti has the right shape, but has a polished finish.

Very similar query to the one I had earlier this year. Still not really decided which ones they are! They could both be Chorus but different dates.

Attachments

• ModernCampagChainsets.1.A.jpg
    ModernCampagChainsets.1.A.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,150
Cheers guys! :D

Had a look at VeloBase.com and they look like Veloce '94 which ties in with when I bought them unused off a club mate.

Now in the for sale section ;)

Back