What car? Ideas needed...

MK 4 Golf V5 2.3? I had one with the full leather recaro interior and winter pack, (heated seats, mirrors etc). Sold it for £3.5k nearly 2 years ago. Yes it was heavy, but still quick at a shade over 170 brake, plus reliable as it runs on chains not belts. Also very solid if safety is a factor. Not the most economical though! :)

Audi A3. Becoming quite cheap these days, it you are mechanically savvy the parts are quite reasonable for standard servicing so you can do it on a budget. A bit bigger than the 205 and a lot more solid. My Audi 80 has 160,000 miles on and my father-in-law's A4 (1995) did 225,000 miles before giving up. An S-Line should be within your budget.

Our last generation 1,6 Pug 306 SW is the bollocks (and you don't want to know what it cost in Denmark as it's just depressing to think that we could have got it for a fiftth of the price in the UK). I got overtaken in the company Honda by one on the autobahn last week, by a fair rate of knots. I drove ours down to Frankfurt last autumn and it was keeping up with some very serious German executive motors on some very fast stretches of uphill motorway.

Peugeot electrics have their "peculiarities" but it's a fun and easy car to drive.

Would recommend a 306 any day. Work motor was briefly a 307 and it was horrible in comparison.

I enjoyed a V reg (2000) 306 2.0 XSi (the late one with the 140 bhp motor).

Nice, fun to drive and I looked after it. Full Peugeot service history, everything changed when it should. But after 9 years and 94,000 miles you could see it was built down to a price. The radiator was rusted out (the fins are steel not copper) the aircon went every 4 months as the pipes were all corroded under the car (£600 to replace). The tops of the door seals had worn through the paint on the roof, the interior creaked and rattled, etc, etc.

I cannot recommend one of its age as a secondhand buy unless very cheap and with history.. I sold it and kept the other car, a 1997 Saab 9000 which was just much better built.

Back