What bottom bracket size for a TA crank on 5 speed

Midlife":37dipplk said:
TA were normal ISO taper but at the narrower end of the taper if that makes sense. Campag cranks on TA BB's tended to start to bottom out but would fit OK. TA cranks on Campag BB's also fitted but stuck out a bit.

Stronglight were a bit odd at times and I'm sure they were an individual size, rather like Suntour they had their own ideas about sizes.

As with a lot of kit of this generation its a matter of trial and error :(

Shaun

Thanks Shaun.

I'm having trouble finding a Bottom Bracket in that size, and conflicting accounts as to whether it's ISO or JIS.
I understand that an ISO crank on a JIS taper is possible but the axle needs to be say 4 mm shorter (and opposite combo on a JIS crank and ISO taper).

My problem is that I do not have a BB with which to test whether the (single) ring scrapes/hits against the stays - or whether I have enough space.
I was thinking of getting a 111mm BB (ISO) and thought 0.5mm wont make any difference.
Or a 107/108mm JIS - or be safe and getting a 112 or 113mm .

I Need to make a decision!

I reckon it'd have to be either:

108mm JIS

or 11.5/112mm ISO.

Well after a lot of research I see that people have problems as the axle is offset drive side is 2.5mm longer and as Old Ned said the tapers aren't quite either JIS or ISO.
So finding a sealed cartridge unit is tricky.

If ISO fits then I guess chain line is important so to go for the size of the drive side axle as a guide and not worry too much about the non drive side crank bei out by a couple mm. In this case a 113mm ISO should be fine (in theory).

If anyone has any experience it'd be great to hear

Back