West Midlands Rides 2012

rides over this way are very possible, but what is the point when no one from outside the local area will attend

matthew71":2sg36s0n said:
rides over this way are very possible, but what is the point when no one from outside the local area will attend

A wise man told me once if your going for a ride round your local loop anyway and you advertise it if no one turns up what have you lost? Agree though if special efforts have been made to arrange rides and they are poorly attended it is frustrating.

The West mids does cover a vast area and sadly the active riders seem to be spread out well too which is always going to make it harder to bring regular riding.

To be fair not that long ago their was no regular rides at all and just an annual FOD ride , this year we have hosted 8 rides plus a 10 man mayhem team so we must be going in the right direction .... arnt we? :cry:

daj":1tpct55p said:
To be fair not that long ago their was no regular rides at all and just an annual FOD ride , this year we have hosted 8 rides plus a 10 man mayhem team so we must be going in the right direction .... arnt we? :cry:

I think so Dave - due to the efforts of you, James, Ed and Russell organising rides and everyone who turns up for them when they can.

For what it's worth, I think you're doing a sterling job in keeping the West Midlands plates spinning Dave and without your efforts there would be a lot less going on.

Key thing for us all is to "build it and they will come" (I love quoting Costner and do so sometimes even in context) - got a ride you are doing anyway then mention it to the AEC and then pop it up. No one comes? Their loss, simply big it up in a self-reverential aftermath (I have a lot of form for this) and then see what happens next time.

I will apologise for planning the Gospel Pass Road Ride on the same day as the Real Ale Wobble, a complete oversight on my part. That said, there aren't a huge amount of West Midlands-ers going to either and they do cater for quite different audiences.

I guess the key message is that the success or not of the region sits with us all - Dave, James and Adrian are Co-ordinators rather than organisers - so, quoting Costner again, "build it and they will come".

[I am riding to work tomorrow in case anyone fancies joining me, thinking of setting out at 8ish].

Let's face it , we all lead busy lives and co-ordinating time is always tricky,November is busy with the road and wobble ,as Dave suggested if anyone is riding out locally to them post it up, ive done it in the last and has worked out.

So if anyone has ideas for 2013 please post it up and let's plan ahead for better attendance wherever we ride ;)

******edit, just saw Ed's post :oops: *******

Guess we are singing from the same hymn sheet

Quoting Costner is one thing...... this sort of management tripe is quite unforgivable:

theredchili":3af6a8w5 said:
singing from the same hymn sheet

Wash your mouth out young man!

nevadasmith":1t43tu0k said:
Quoting Costner is one thing...... this sort of management tripe is quite unforgivable:

theredchili":1t43tu0k said:
singing from the same hymn sheet

Wash your mouth out young man!

OH NO! We'll be looking for 'windows of opportunity' to 'press the flesh' next.

I actually worked with someone who used to speak like that. :roll: :facepalm:

Back