15 Years!

I'm a relative newcomer at 4 and a half years. I didn't know retro MTBs were a thing 'til I found Retrobike. I thought I was the only one who valued a middle aged Whyte JW4. Bikes have risen from 2 to 5 in this time. Not looking for to increase this number until I find the right bike.

Re:

Caused me to check .... nearly 12 years. Not much of a contributor I'm afraid (other than buying bits and for a time Early Saracens!), especially since free photobucket ended! Never one for the sort of perfect restoration jobs that feature - I admire the effort, skill and patience, but my life too short and at times simply overwhelmed by family responsibilities.
But very much value my Gold Trader badge!
Good to be a member. Thanks all and good luck for the long, dark and slightly scary months ahead.

Bizarrely, despite my joining date being December 2005, I think I started posting here 15 years ago too. Back when this website started we didn’t need to have an account and I used to post as a guest all the time.. it was just a breath of fresh air, far better than having to mark threads on STW with the word RETRO as we used to do pre-retrobike

Time has flown by in a worrying way. It’s amazing that some of the same faces are here 15 years later, and some of the same bikes are still in my collection!

pete_mcc":2y4ej1ms said:
Time has flown by in a worrying way. It’s amazing that some of the same faces are here 15 years later, and some of the same bikes are still in my collection!

Its also pretty cool to see some of our old steeds making the rounds with new owners, I started out loving the carbon stuff and have transitioned to skinny steel ..... many of them were other members rides I had admired in the past that now I'm pleased to own myself.

Re: Re:

al":zjeil2by said:
Just had a look at my first ever post from 2007, and the first person that responded was BoyBurning.... Which is nice!

al.

Ah, sweetie... :)

Mine was from Scant, responding with what has pretty much become his catchphrase on here:

"pm me your direct mail addy for pics"

:LOL:

Funny isn't it, I've had a couple of hiatusesesesss but I find myself coming back here. It's a lovely break from the modern world. Working in a very busy bike shop selling top end shizz, you really become numb to it. Show me some mid range 90's nostalgia and I go weak at the knees. Ruddy loves it I do

Re:

Well done RBG - 15 years and you’re still coming up with fresh builds.

This thread’s got me thinking about why we keep it up: like albash, I tend to drift in and out but keep returning. Even with changing membership, spats, private forums, FB, Insta and blogs, there are things about this place that are hard to beat:

Public, so people can happen a cross it and get interested.
Forum, so replies are dynamic and mostly unfiltered, and can be long and considered or quick fire.
A real resource: despite photo-hosting collapses, there is so much searchable info on here, and the photos that are uploaded have proved stable over time.
And long-lived: a good sign of real community (and I suspect that there are many older members who may not post but still keep an eye on the place).

Back