Wendover Bash 40th Annivarsary Weekend 21st-23rd of June 2024, Wendover Woods, Buckinghamshire

GrahamJohnWallace

Retrobike Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
The 1984 Wendover Bash is senonymous with the start of mountain biking in the UK. It was the first MTB specific event to feature both downhill and cross-country racing. Together with its hillclimb and trials competition it set the multi-disciplinery format of early UK mtb events, including those of the 'Mountain Bike Club', before British Cycling took over the running of the sport in 1989.

To mark the 40th Annivarsary of the first 'Bash' I will be running a series of social rides in the area where the 'Bashes were took place between 1984 & 1988. We will also be visiting the Wendover Bash site.
1986 Wendover Bash Video

I am not intending this to be a big event, just some low-key rides through the Chltern Hill's area of outstanding natural beauty.

Though this is a hilly area, the Saturday ride will avoid the bigger hills by keeping to the higher ground. The Sunday ride will be a bit more challenging. The 'pace of the slowest rider' rule will apply and we frequently stop to chat, so don't expect a blistering pace.

This ride is open to all, so you don't need bring a retro-bike. However, there will be a few old bikes from the time of the original event.

For more details, inclusing advice for camping nearby, can be found here:
Wendover Bash 40th Annivarsary

Please contact me if you are intending to come along as this will help me to plan the rides.

I am interested in attending the ride out, canf do the full weekend but would ve able to do Saturday, may be able to persuade a couple of family members to attend to

Keith

I am interested in attending the ride out, canf do the full weekend but would ve able to do Saturday, may be able to persuade a couple of family members to attend to

Keith
Hi Keith, You and any family members would be welcome. Saturday will be the easier of the two days and we should get some good views from the hills. It would be great if you could bring some good weather with you, though the rides will take place whatever the weather. There is always plenty of shade to be found in the forests if it turns out to be hot and sunny.☀️

Keep an eye on the ride details on the Cleland website as these will be updated as we get closer to the date.

Last edited:
Back