Well this is a headscratcher of a Colnago

Campy Rider

Retro Newbie
Came across this frame the other day, its branded Colnago but with boule d'or engravings on the fork and seat stays. I can't seem to find a combination of this frame with over the BB cable routing the this later model fork anywhere, including the boule d'or bits, unless it was a special order? Rear drop outs are Colnago Stamped and correct for the period based on photos and personal knowledge. It's just odd to me.

boule d'or was a cigarette company that sponsored a cycling team in Belgium in the late 70's - early 80's Could be an ex-team bike?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg

boule d'or was a cigarette company that sponsored a cycling team in Belgium in the late 70's - early 80's Could be an ex-team bike?

Looks like it:

279_001.jpg

Certain features, eg over bracket guides say this is a late 70s/very early 80s frame
Then again, the pump peg where it is is mid 80s onwards. Brazed on gear bosses tended to be standard when under bracket guides came along.

My initial thoughts are a 78-82 ish frame that's had some later mods added and a new paint job

I assume boule dor is a cheese manufacturer??

As above its a bit of a mish mash of eras, it has the two brake cable guides on the TT which the team bike doesn't....

I wonder if they "recycled" the bikes after every season, added bosses, guides etc. Maybe they chanegd logos? Here are two more photos. The drive side dropout is stamped with a "12" Wondering if this meant frame 12 of XX frames or was made for rider #12. I don't have photos of the bottom bracket.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I have this original team top from 84, complete with fuzzy felt type red and yellow patch for the right shoulder. 20230521_160043.jpg 20230521_160032.jpg

Fork crown looks younger than the frame, I wonder if it has been converted to Allen key brake bolts?

Back