Weird headset problem

By a weird coincidence I've had a similar problem this week, and I don't normally browse this part of the forum, I only spotted this thread from the "latest posts" sidebar.

Klein Pinnacle frame, M740 headset that came out of an Orange P7 (where it worked fine), and in the Klein it'll drop in with barely any pressure. I had a panic that the Klein was damaged. But an M735 fits as I would expect and so does an old Spesh headset. What gives ??

Ztto.
Even cheaper.
Installed on 5 or 6 bikes over the last few years - no issues.
Only one headset had a faulty bearing when delivered - the seller swapped without any issues.
I have original ck, couple of cc40, some cheapo rictchey, knock off ck as well... Honestly never encountered any problems with any headset ever, it's the one component where I'd happily go proper cheap.. because I see virtually no difference between them as long as they're sealed...

Will have to try ztto

I have original ck, couple of cc40, some cheapo rictchey, knock off ck as well... Honestly never encountered any problems with any headset ever, it's the one component where I'd happily go proper cheap.. because I see virtually no difference between them as long as they're sealed...

Will have to try ztto
I bought a lovely anodised green cheap Chinese headset for my daughter's bike, and the tolerances are all over the place. Once pushed into the headtube, I couldn't fit the bearing cartridge into it! So there is scope for things going wrong, but I haven't encountered that with ZTTO (that only comes in black). Will be knocking out the cheapo this weekend and replacing it with the "real thing".
They used to sell for about £10-£12 delivered, but these days they are often closer to £20, which puts them into the same price category as any other cheapo headset that's not any better or worse.
If you find them for a tenner, go for it.

Back