Wear a helmet or not?

Re: Re:

t47b":p5io9sep said:
If you intend (?) going over the handlebars then a helmet is a must, they are a very good way to protect your forehead when it hits Tarmac, not much use in any other situation.
:D

Don't quite agree - I found having a helmet also really helps when your bike slips out sideways due to lack of traction - you are clipped in and you hit the ground with your shoulder and side of your head. Has happened to me twice at very low speeds - nothing I could have done to stop my head hitting the tarmac - crushed my helmet in both instances. Wouldn't ride without one

Re: Re:

dadoflam":89yh5vyn said:
t47b":89yh5vyn said:
If you intend (?) going over the handlebars then a helmet is a must, they are a very good way to protect your forehead when it hits Tarmac, not much use in any other situation.
:D

Don't quite agree - I found having a helmet also really helps when your bike slips out sideways due to lack of traction - you are clipped in and you hit the ground with your shoulder and side of your head. Has happened to me twice at very low speeds - nothing I could have done to stop my head hitting the tarmac - crushed my helmet in both instances. Wouldn't ride without one

Mine saved me from an overhanging large branch at speed. I got low but still clouted me hard.

Re:

..and a helmet refusenik would counter: "If you artificially increase the effective diameter of your skull by upwards of three inches, it should come as no surprise to find that what would have been near misses become neck-jarring impacts."

Otoh, for the imaginative, the psychological trauma of a near miss is arguably as damaging as the physical trauma of an impact. It is a hard world. Choose your poison...

generally wear gloves and a helmet as habit but not all the time. I mis-spent my youth not wearing a helmet and didnt die, doesn't mean I was right. I ahve seen some nasty head injuries over my time and wouldn't want that.

and yes, spend a bit and get a good one, comfort is important.

Re:

Wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet, it's up to you.

I always do, on and off road.

I've bumped my head on the concrete lintel over the door of my workshop and it f'kin hurts. I don't fancy doing the same at road or trail speed thanks.

There are great offers all year round on really good helmets, especially as the 'Must Have MAMILS' move to the latest KASK or POC or whatever, leaving shops full of last years 'Must Have'.

I hear Rapha have just released someone else's helmet with their name on. That'll start a stampede, or is that a wobblepede.

Helmets dont help in every type of accident but they sometimes can prevent serious head injury. Best wear one as you just never know.

Looks like the Oz administration got the stats they wanted. I suspect a body wanting to prove helmets serve no useful purpose could come up with stats to prove their case,also!

Re:

Interesting thread, and one very similar is, and has, been running on the CTC forum. I've been a cyclist all my life and a motorcyclist for much of that time too.

I do not wear a helmet on the road, often wear one off-road (terrain dependant) simply because it will offer some protection from overhanging branches etc and I assess the risk, of falling off, as greater (I don't ride in traffic when on the road).

However, what I find perverse is that helmet wearers rarely wear what I refer to as technical eye protection (save spectacle wearers, but even then spec aren't technical). By technical I mean eye protection that will protect/resist the flying stone, grit, insect...I always wear technical eye protection - when riding retro it's my Bolle Edge 2s (avec Indurain/Zulle), when modern bicycle and motorcycle* I have a pair of BBBs.

Partial thread hijack but let's hear about eyes guys.

Jon.

*I wear open face helmets on motorcycles as full face helmets can be dangerous and limit peripheral vision and reduce hearing - plus I ride classics and a Harley - Roadking, geddit ?

Back