Wear a helmet or not?

Re:

Absolutely wear one!

This happened to mine today, with just a very stiff neck now as a consequence... tyre smacked a rock, tyre burped and lost pressure/grip, front end washed-out from under me and I went rolling in the heather... all relatively painless... except it just so happens there was a rock right where my head landed :shock:

Wear you lids lads! :cool:

Attachments

• A1good.jpg
    A1good.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 220
  • A1bad.jpg
    A1bad.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 220
There's plenty of research that says it's not worth it. Not just because they don't work when you really need them to but if you wear a helmet cars pass closer and riders take more risks, both subconscious decisions but measurable. There is some old research that says it is worthwhile and then there's the totally unscientific "oh if only they'd been wearing a helmet" guesses/wishful thinking.

As is often pointed out car occupants have by far the most head injuries, so where's the outcry and campaigns to make them wear helmets or any type of built in protection that could save them?

Anyway do you want but you're not going to change people's minds on the issue so it's a rather pointless discussion and it goes the same way every time.

The one thing for certain is that compulsory helmets, hi-vis etc reduces the number of cyclists, I think I read 50-55% in Australia (Perth?). Which is a bad thing health wise and far outweighs the few who may or may not have been helped by them.

Personally I think they do their job in as much as they prevent scrapes and bruises if you have a spill but anything beyond that then they do very little and certain groups basically lie about their effectiveness. I've ridden both ways and have noticed, as some research has shown, that cars do tend to show a bit more care when you're riding without.

Re: Re:

widowmaker":1a389ksv said:
We have been discussing this since Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:38 pm

:LOL:

It goes round and round in circles on the forums where it's discussed. Every one has an opinion and no one seems to change their opinion so it's all a bit pointless. The only thing people seem to agree on is don't make it compulsory.

Crambie":1a6ah572 said:
widowmaker":1a6ah572 said:
We have been discussing this since Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:38 pm

:LOL:

It goes round and round in circles on the forums where it's discussed. Every one has an opinion and no no one seems to change their opinion so it's all a bit pointless. The only thing people seem to agree on is don't make it compulsory.

that's how it should be. We are adults. I know the dangers of no helmet. What i don't want is people giving me shit when i'm out about not wearing one. If they do then they will get Mr nasty back. I mind my own business when out. So should they.

There's a thread on a forum i used to be a member of that's been going since before i emigrated. 12 years nearly, it was ~40 pages when i joined in. I was still getting the odd notification until 4 or 5 years ago (my login was deleted after 5 years inactive).

Unfortunately i can't see if it's still there as it's the other side of the login screen, and I'm not re registering!

Re:

I once went up the loft ladder and into the loft wearing sandals :LOL:

I know I should have worn steel toecap boots, a high viz vest and a hard hat :facepalm:

widowmaker":24sdb0oi said:
I once went up the loft ladder and into the loft wearing sandals :LOL:

I know I should have worn steel toecap boots, a high viz vest and a hard hat :facepalm:

Did you forget the bollards & warning sign round the base of the ladder? :LOL:

A company I once worked for supplied honeycomb aluminium panels for the roof lining of BMWs. It squished nicely if hit by anyone. The same stuff was used on a much larger scale for transporting nuclear reactors by train.

Re:

Coming from a mtb background I always wear a helmet and so has carried over to any road cycling I do. Not really sure why anyone wouldn’t. You don’t always have to hit your head that hard to cause fairly serious injury. The idea that it’s really only their to protect from car collisions isn’t really the case. Each to their own of course but I wouldn’t ride with anyone that wasn’t

Back