WANTED: someone with a stuck seatpost.

fun at fiftyish":1f9mg040 said:
Hi ,I have removed a few using the hacksaw blade method,slow and laborious,and best done over a few sessions with a mate involved.Have you made a holder for the blade,?,,, imo that would make all the difference as you can't put any pressure on the blade without it bending and jumping out of "groove"..I'm intrigued,,Shame I've done mine.Best of luck with the buisness,,a very impresive array of skills and equipment and some lovely finished items.Good website also.
Mark

Yes, your on the right lines!

chilos":28xmacgg said:
Aaaah! Just looked on your Facebook page. I see the principle - the hacksaw blade is held in a long rod with only enough of the blade sticking out to cut through the seatpost without damaging the seat tube. Great idea - but you're in Manchester and I'm in Edinburgh, so, given my lack of engineering abilities/facilities, it looks like I'm stuck with the caustic soda method.

That's the one!
I think Edinbourgh is a bit far to go to try it out though :)

drystonepaul I'll PM you as your only down the road, thanks for others replies :)

jaypee":1amtm6ve said:
Got three and I'm off to buy some ammonia tomorrow.

Saw (if you'll forgive the pun) your tool on another thread Rampage, very impressive!

Might have to cajole you into making one to sell (as I'm in Brighton) if I get to the point where there's no option but to destroy the post(s).

I have been asked by someone else to knock up a blade holder, if you want one let me know.
I have seen a boring tool used, the bloke got a mag drill cutter thing, he bodged a mandrel to hold it in his faithfull battery drill, then he bored the remains of the seat post with the closest size cutter he had, say a 27mm cutter in a 27.2mm post. The remains of the post collapses easy enough once it's thin, I wouldn't be surprised if it started spinning in the tube while your boring it out.

Back