For Sale Wanted Dual speed crank set

Hi Ray,

Just to help avoid any possible mismatch, if your Galaxy has, for example, 5 or 6 sprockets at the back, you won't be able to run a 10 speed chain on it sucessfully. You could, however, continue to run the original chain on the 10 speed crankset.

There is also a possible issue of bottom bracket axle length and chain line. I will send you a more detailed message tomorrow.

Tim
You can run a ten speed chain on a 5 or 6 freewheel/ cassette. I've done it ..... am doing it.
You can also run a 5/6)7/8 speed chain on narrower chainrings, but because of wider lateral space, you tend to get the chain slightly moving laterally and pinging the front mech on some gears. This doesn't affect the mechanics but it the tinkling can become annoying

You can run a ten speed chain on a 5 or 6 freewheel/ cassette. I've done it ..... am doing it.
You can also run a 5/6)7/8 speed chain on narrower chainrings, but because of wider lateral space, you tend to get the chain slightly moving laterally and pinging the front mech on some gears. This doesn't affect the mechanics but it the tinkling can become annoying
The issue with a narrow chain on an old block is that in some combinations the chain will sit between gears and skate over the teeth of the freewheel for a number of revolutions before engaging. This only tends to be a problem on older (friction) blocks with squarer profile teeth and no ramps.

Back