For Sale Wanted Dual speed crank set

Libraryman2

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I’m looking for a dual speed crank set to fit my Dawes Galaxy, 48-36 T 170mm crank arm.

Currently fitted with a stronglight one piece crank but it’s seen better days..a nice condition crank set and perhaps a front Mech to suit would give the old girl a lift, she might even pick up her skirt and run a little faster :LOL::)

Ray

Hello Ray,

I have a campagnolo mirage (I think it is) square Taper compact black Crankset with a pair of FSA chainrings in 50/34

Do let me know if you are interested in this

Hi Martin thanks for coming back to me, let me research that crank set, I’m not very knowledgeable so I’ll just need to look at the 50-34 T, my sense is that it won’t make a lot of difference, in fact it may help because the Low gear on the rear set is 34T…a tad low really.

How much do you want? Postage etc, and can you forward an image?

Hi Martin thanks for coming back to me, let me research that crank set, I’m not very knowledgeable so I’ll just need to look at the 50-34 T, my sense is that it won’t make a lot of difference, in fact it may help because the Low gear on the rear set is 34T…a tad low really.

How much do you want? Postage etc, and can you forward an image?
Hello Ray,

Here's a pic of the crank, I can get more pics later for you.

How does £25 plus a couple of quid for postage sound? Unless you're near south Oxfordshire and we could maybe sort something out.

Attachments

• IMG-20230717-WA0040.jpg
    IMG-20230717-WA0040.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 6
No issues with the price Martin, I need a crank length of 170mm to match my old one..

I’m no expert on gearing, I’m hoping that you have better understanding than myself..
If I take it; I’m matching it to a 34-14 rear set, this will effect the ratios but I don’t know how, are you informed enough to enlighten me?

The other issue might be chain size…these complications might mean I steer clear of mixing the components…I’m sure you understand that point, however…until I know the answers…I don’t know…if that makes sense..perhaps someone might chime in..🤷‍♂️

Ray

If you have a 48/36 now then a 50/34 will give you an overall lower gear and also an overall higher gear too.

Regarding chains, you may need a 10 speed chain (narrower) which will be compatible with the chainrings.

Actually Martin, came to that broad conclusion about the gearing, a bit weird but not catastrophic..

The chain could be an issue on the rear gear set, I’ll check it out🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for your patience..and info

I’m sure it will still be there when I’ve understood the implications.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Just to help avoid any possible mismatch, if your Galaxy has, for example, 5 or 6 sprockets at the back, you won't be able to run a 10 speed chain on it sucessfully. You could, however, continue to run the original chain on the 10 speed crankset.

There is also a possible issue of bottom bracket axle length and chain line. I will send you a more detailed message tomorrow.

Tim

Back