Vitus Frame identification and suitability

We look forward to your bikes photo. It is a brilliant frame. I have one from 1985.

I would keep it for its history and heritage. I would recommend a more modern bike with decent gears to get you started. Welcome to the best place to start cycling, nothing is impossible. Just get on and keep pedals moving.

Start slow, with 2-3 times a week, of 5, 10 miles. Then increase it each week with 5 more miles. Within a short time you will with ease get to 50-60 miles. Once you hit this milestone, the century becomes within reach. Use a heart monitor, to ensure you do not go over your 80% max heart rate.

Welcome to the club!

Hello Wallstreet and everybody else. . About 18 years ago +/- a couple. A very dear friend of mine who lives in Winter Park, FL gave me a vintage Paramount bike frame. And I mean frame and forks ONLY. But it was and still is beautiful. Chrome everywhere. Just no components – frame and forks. So I needed a bike and thought why not build THIS one. According to the serial number Serial #E7297 stamped on the left rear drop, it was made in 1973 the year I graduated from high school and was the 97th frame constructed that year. It’s also referred to as the Olympic because of its Olympic rings decal. I have pretty good mechanical aptitude but zero bike component selection / building skills and little experience. Through a friend of a friend, I got hooked up with Mr. Sheldon Brown. In my opinion, one of the most brilliant and knowledgeable bicycle mechanics on earth. You have probably read some of his articles – just brilliant. I contacted him through Harris Cyclery. Not only was Mr. Brown brilliant but also very approachable. He loved my idea of breathing new life into my vintage Paramount frame. He understood that my spirit was willing and eager but my knowledge was feeble. He put me in touch with a mechanic at Harris Cyclery, Jay Jackson. Through a couple phone calls and several emails, we mapped out a plan. Through his long distance guidance, I hand spread the rear drops to accept a 9 ring cassette, and selected all the components from a sealed bottom bracket bearing assy to derailleurs to STI levers to wheel and spoke composition / lacing pattern to, you get the picture. Jay would ask for measurements and mr. caliper and I would go to work. When I ordered parts from Harris Cyclery, if it required a special tool, they would ship the tool with the part. Sometimes it cost a few dollars. Sometimes it was used and free. I took that frame and forks only and turned it into what I’m proud to say is a pretty cool looking bike. I certainly get lots of comments when I ride it. No, it’s not carbon fiber, or titanium or even aluminum and yes, it’s heavy as a brick. It is also a touch on the large size for me, I can straddle the top tube flat footed but it’s close. But it’s cool looking and I had the pleasure of the building process. And my bike knowledge is pretty good as a result. I perform all of my own maintenance, cable changes, derailleurs setups and adjustments handlebar wraps, etc. Alas, Sheldon Brown passed away a few years ago and Jay recently retired. Mr. Brown’s abundant articles are still available (as you know) educating other enthusiasts. According to my Garmin, I have ridden just over 34500 miles on the Paramount that I put together. I average 14mph (not rocket speed but fair. I have ridden three centuries in the last few years and bunches of 35 to 50 mile Club rides. While I'm not aerodynamically stable like you guys, I do OK for Boo Boo the Dancing Bear. Referring to the Vitus frame, I was hoping to build it for a second bike. Obviously THAT isn't happening because I'm too fat for the frame. But I'd say that I have fair riding and bike building skills. Thank y'all so much for the encouragement!

OK, I'll post a couple of pics. I'll try to figure out the site. There's probably some kind of insane photo size limitation. :)

That is a lovely story about yourself, and especially Sheldon Brown. I think he passed on a good few years ago. I found some of his knowledge online, so from Switzerland called up Harris Cyclery who stated he had passed on. They still were able to give me guidance, plus take an international order for upgrade of parts that I needed to get my tandem functioning better (a 1980s Kanikuwara race bike with drum brakes), fast and solid.

You do realize that 14mph is a very good speed.

If you get the chance watch The Game Changers edition about Athletes, it is topical and very interesting about the body, heart and sports mixed with what we eat. Balancing a mediterrnean diet another school of thought found from the BBC, that it kept people younger and healthier as they age.

At the end of the day, just join us all, to enjoy feeling the freedom - like when we were kids.

WallStreet and all,
You are correct. Mr. Sheldon Brown passed away in early February 2008 as I recall. His wealth of knowledge is still available through his many articles. Harris Cyclery is hours from where I live and they answer my questions and I support them by buying from them. Very honest and trustworthy. Hard to find in today's business world.

14 mph is not where I want to be. However, people love trying to draft behind me. Like drafting off a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood! LOLOL

Gamechangers Athletes edition - I will watch it - thanx for the recommendation.

I think you should go back to the local shop, to ask what they think you should do. Personally, keep that frame. Sheldon would have tried to pry it from you though ;)

Probably right about Sheldon. He was very eager to assist me with my vintage Paramount years ago. My opinion is that he was probably one of the smartest most knowledgeable bike mechanics ever to spin a wrench and I found him to be very approachable electronically. But you're right, he was really a proponent and rider of anything vintage. :)

The way to bypass posting photos, is to stick it offline on a photo site to then link back up to here.

We all look forward to seeing it.

Latest posts

Back