Vitus 979 / Peugeot

Full spec of the bike is as follows:

Frame: Vitus Duralinox 979

Fork: Vitus Duralinox 979

Headset: Tifosi alloy
Stem: 3ttt Record
Handlebar: 3ttt Competizione
Bar Tape: White microfibre

Brake Levers: Supposed to be Victory, but think they’re actually Chorus.
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Victory
Brake Pads: Campagnolo Victory
Brake Cables: White ones found in the garage

Shifters: Simplex retrofriction
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Triomphe
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Victory
Derailleur Cables: Found in the garage
Freewheel: Shimano 13-18
Chain: Regina SL Hollow pins
Cranks: Campagnolo Victory
Chainrings: Campagnolo Victory
Bottom Bracket: Tifosi
Pedals: Campagnolo Record

Rims: Wolber Profil 20
Hubs: Campagnolo
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo
Nipples: Pert
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Vittoria Rally Tubular

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo - White
Seatpost: Atax
Seatpost Binder: Grub Screw

Bottle Cage: TA
Extras:

Weight: 19.6lbs

Cost wise, it started as a project to hang a load of old stuff I had in the garage onto a suitable frame. Initially I was heading down the good old Italian steel route and after missing out on a few ebay bids and seeing prices getting progressively higher (particularly since the announcement of L'eroica Brittania) I changed tack.

The Vitus 979 was a bike I very much admired in the 80's, but never got to ride one, let alone own one. I remember an article in Bicycle magazine where they had one hanging on a wall, but can't remember if it was because it was a work of art or whether it was good for nothing else. Then there's all the tales of debonding and riding like a noodle and you wonder if it's worth bothering.

Anyway I went for it and it's currently hanging from the roof of my conservatory with some tinsel round the wheels as a Christmas decoration. I'll ride it when the weather is good enough and I've sorted the gear levers. Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as legend would have you believe!

Oh, yeah, the cost. Bits I had to buy (or chose to buy over using some of my old bits) were -
Frame, Forks, Headset, Seatpost, Saddle, Brakes, Rear Mech, Chain, Wheels, Tubs, and Bottom Bracket. Whatever is left I already had. Total spend £568

Guy in my old Club had a proper Peugeot 979 in the exact colour as yours...same size too - 52cm? I remember seeing it back in 1990 and wanted one so bad, I even offered to buy it off him. Back then those 979's were just so light compared to the usual steel stuff!

I built a later 992 last year and interestingly, is a heavier frame than the 979, though WAY stiffer!

I may well look out for a 979 frame. and add some Peugeot decals. Be great if you could get on one of our road rides as would love to see this close up - Job nicely done!

Very nice, I really like the decals on silver, and yes the levers are later, I had victory on my race bike in 1986/87 the levers were the thinner body like the old super record with white hoods and white brake blocks but yours look good too. I certainly wouldnt be afraid to ride it, the only thing that will go is the joint from the seat tube to the BB and only if its had a wet life characterised by black gunk round the joints. I used to race these frames and loved it then, and last year built a Kelly KAS replica with Mavic SSC that I rode once a week in the summer. Its a 54cm and as its smaller they really dont flex much. Also it came in at 19lbs amazing for that era and you do feel it still on the climbs very sprightly! I rode it for 80 miles over our club Paris Roubaix ride round Cheshire and it went like a dream soaking up the bumps. I've got a Vitus carbone 9 that Im swapping my Mavic bits onto soon that should be even lighter and its a 52cm. Enjoy :))

Re:

Finally got round to riding the bike. Just an hour last night to get a feel for it.
Hadn't quite tightened the front mech enough (as the nut had rounded slightly) and over the ride the mech slowly pulled down until it was rubbing the teeth of the chainset.
One of the bottle cage captive nuts rotates preventing the bolt from tightening properly (zip tie put to good use until I can get it sorted properly). And the headset loosened a little during the ride
Apart from that it all seemed good. Had the Garmin in my back pocket to look at when I got back and the average speed was really no slower than I'd expect on any of my more modern bikes. I'll give it a go in a 10 mile TT and see how it compares.

Attachments

• Peugeot Vitus.jpg
    Peugeot Vitus.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 2,271
Well done looks brand new! I ride with my garmin in my back pocket on my retro bikes, and yes the speeds are not any slower! Have fun after all they are made to be ridden not just looked at!

Back