Visom - my project for the winter

allenh":3m5qh2wb said:
The mechs and shifters don't match but that doesn't mean they weren't what it was fitted with of course, the shifters are Simplex, rear mech is Super Record and front is 980, can you find any catalogues or photo's showing what should be on it?

Thanks for the great info! I looked at some pictures and thought the shifters were Huret :) I like the look of them so will keep them, I guess they were originally fitted on the bike so :)

Maybe if I contact the store Visom (the still exist) I can get a catalog, will do that in time.

bjornwestergren":3w4wl5mp said:
allenh":3w4wl5mp said:
The mechs and shifters don't match but that doesn't mean they weren't what it was fitted with of course, the shifters are Simplex, rear mech is Super Record and front is 980, can you find any catalogues or photo's showing what should be on it?

Thanks for the great info! I looked at some pictures and thought the shifters were Huret :) I like the look of them so will keep them, I guess they were originally fitted on the bike so :)

Maybe if I contact the store Visom (the still exist) I can get a catalog, will do that in time.
The shifters are Simplex retrofriction and they were regarded among the best shifters of their time. Even pro racers replaced their campagnolo shifters for these. The levers have a balancing spring to reduce the likelihood of the lever slipping and as a result, can be set up with less tension which makes them smoother in operation.

Thay might very well be original to the bike as many bikeshops tailored the bikes after the client's wishes.

Source: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... nents.html

Re:

Very nice. Red and chrome is such a great combination. If you do replace that chain keep the old one or pass it on. It looks Like a Sedisport which were budget chains at the time but were simply superb and far better than a lot of much more expensive items.

Re: Re:

peetee":369q9h57 said:
Very nice. Red and chrome is such a great combination. If you do replace that chain keep the old one or pass it on. It looks Like a Sedisport which were budget chains at the time but were simply superb and far better than a lot of much more expensive items.

Thanx, I think so to, love the red/chrome and white on Collage Mexico and this is not far from that :)

If I change parts the old ones will found a new life on other bikes or on the shelf :)

Re:

New parts has arrived, Turbo-saddle and new tyres/bottles and cotton bar tape, will use the white bar tape.

Will send the tyres to my father so he can stretch them and pre glue them so they are ready to mount when the wheels are cleaned.

I hope that I soon can visit a shop nearby my fathers place to see if they have new brake levers for me, thats my biggest problem with this project, to find Campagnolo brake levers that don't cost more then the bike did...

Attachments

• P1000645.jpg
    P1000645.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 395
Re: Re:

bjornwestergren":2c84i2g6 said:
thats my biggest problem with this project, to find Campagnolo brake levers that don't cost more then the bike did...

I know the feeling. I have cheated on one of mine by using the levers that came with Weinmann 605 brakes. Very nice looking and not far off the record drilled levers.

Dia Compe do some nice alternatives but can still be more than a bit pricey.

Re:

Started some cleaning, first the wheels and they look really pretty after a wash and some polish. A picture of the seatpost after wash but before I polished it.

Attachments

• P1000646.jpg
    P1000646.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 350
  • P1000647.jpg
    P1000647.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 350
  • P1000648.jpg
    P1000648.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 350
Re:

A little update from the project, I visited my parets some weeks ago and got some time to continued the project.

So some photos from the weekend in my fathers bike-room.

Attachments

• P1000862.jpg
    P1000862.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 260
  • P1000867.jpg
    P1000867.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 260
  • P1000874.jpg
    P1000874.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 260
  • P1000863.jpg
    P1000863.jpg