Visiting Canada

@Woodsie we arrive in whistler on the 11th June. We should reach horseshoe bay around 12:45, and Google estimates 1.5 hours to drive to our hotel. So we should have most of the afternoon on the first day and could meet up on arrival if you're available?

I'll probably aim to rent a bike and make a pilgrimage to whistler bike park on the 12th, for which I'd be glad of the company and the local knowledge.

We check out of whistler on the 13th June with a 5 hr drive to sun peaks.
PM me and we can sort something out. Cheers.

and i have been told woodsie has a great restaurant to eat at.
i'm hoping to get up to try it myself this summer at his brodie ride. :)
Oh yes. "The Brodie ride" haha. Anytime Roy, anytime. A wee loop and some cold beers always works for me.

Hi again guys! The trip is going really well so far. Canada is a beautiful place, and we've seen so much in Vancouver and Victoria. Having done a bit of driving now, on nice highway roads (on VI), the limits of 80kmph seem pretty low. Is there a tolerance for a bit of speeding, and how are the limits enforced? Are there speed cameras that work automatically, or is it just cops in cars using their judgement on whether to stop and ticket you?
Obviously my default position is 'best behaviour' in a foreign country but I'd like to make some progress on the longer sections of the journey back on the mainland.

From what I've read online, taken with a pinch of salt, there does seem to be a fair bit of tolerance for speeding as long as there are no other indicators of careless driving and you're driving to the road conditions.

the highways are the worst for speed traps. the places you would most likely speed.
you can probably get away with 10 over posted limit. but why take chances.
stick to the posted speed and enjoy the scenery. sea to sky to whistler has so many accidents
cops always out there. but woodsie can say more, he is on it a lot more than i am.

While you're on Vancouver Island, go to Ladysmith and get some cinnamon buns from the Old Town Bakery.
Mrs. and I were there a few years ago and were given this advice by a old man in a carpark outside Victoria. He couldn't remember the name of the bakery so said "just park up in Ladysmith and ask where the bun shop is". We did just that and the first person we saw knew exactly what we were talking about.
Genuine highlight of my two weeks in Canada. That and my friends' wedding, I suppose.
Thanks for the recommendation, we we went there and got goodies for breakfast, lunch and beyond today. There was a queue outside, giving away the popularity of the place.
IMG_20230610_112503.jpg
IMG_20230610_112141.jpg

I do a lot of highway driving, sea to sky to Whistler, #1 BC-1 Hwy (the old road, very scenic) and #5 (Coquihalla Hwy). Cops pull speeders over a fair bit on the sea to sky, 10-15km over should be safe though, just don’t speed in the 60 zone going through Lions Bay. I’m feel pretty confident pushing 20km over on the other two northbound highways, I’d be shocked if a ticket was given doing 15 over. No speed cameras on these (but some in Vancouver now, that actually warn you with a sign before the light). Cops like to sit on overpasses and wait, lot’s of well disguised “ghost” cars that drive with the flow of cars, hard to spot. I like to follow a faster driver and let them get the ticket 😂. Our speed cameras in town do not get triggered under 22km over the posted limit. Do I push my driving speed a bit? Yup, but never excessive. If you are 30+ over on the highways you are taking a big chance and tickets are pricey

I do a lot of highway driving, sea to sky to Whistler, #1 BC-1 Hwy (the old road, very scenic) and #5 (Coquihalla Hwy). Cops pull speeders over a fair bit on the sea to sky, 10-15km over should be safe though, just don’t speed in the 60 zone going through Lions Bay. I’m feel pretty confident pushing 20km over on the other two northbound highways, I’d be shocked if a ticket was given doing 15 over. No speed cameras on these (but some in Vancouver now, that actually warn you with a sign before the light). Cops like to sit on overpasses and wait, lot’s of well disguised “ghost” cars that drive with the flow of cars, hard to spot. I like to follow a faster driver and let them get the ticket 😂. Our speed cameras in town do not get triggered under 22km over the posted limit. Do I push my driving speed a bit? Yup, but never excessive. If you are 30+ over on the highways you are taking a big chance and tickets are pricey
Yeah, everything I've read suggests that speed limits in town are (as they should be) taken quite seriously. A sensible use of judgement seems to be in order on faster roads.

Agreed, another note, the #5 Coquihalla has a 120km limit for much of it all the way to Kamloops, I would not push more than 10 over as it’s already a fast limit, another biggie: never speed in construction zones 👍🏻

Back