Visiting Canada

Madmax1993

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I'm currently visiting Canada, about to embark on a road trip from vancouver to Vancouver Island, whistler, sun peaks, lake emerald, jasper, Kelowna and back to Vancouver.
I was just wondering if there are any retrobikers in this neck of the woods, particularly Vancouver and Whistler who might like to meet up with a Scottish retrobiker and maybe show me the sights?
I'm in Vancouver today and tomorrow, then picking up the rental car and heading across to Vancouver Island for a few days.
Would love to hear from any Canadian members of the community.

While you're on Vancouver Island, go to Ladysmith and get some cinnamon buns from the Old Town Bakery.
Mrs. and I were there a few years ago and were given this advice by a old man in a carpark outside Victoria. He couldn't remember the name of the bakery so said "just park up in Ladysmith and ask where the bun shop is". We did just that and the first person we saw knew exactly what we were talking about.
Genuine highlight of my two weeks in Canada. That and my friends' wedding, I suppose.

Welcome @Madmax1993! Your list of stops is a good one, I’ve not ridden Sun Peaks, Lake Emerald, Jasper or Kelowna but lot’s in Vancouver, Whistler and a bit on the Island, so many trails, how to choose?

What sort of trails are you after? I assume you'd like to get a ride or two in ;)

Whistler: I have a FS Kona I’ve ridden a couple times at the bike park that is tonnes of fun, no crazy stuff for me though. There are many scenic trails in and all around the Whistler village that pass lakes, etc these really suit an old school vintage ride. I haven’t ridden it (yet) but have been passed by many bikes on the River Side hiking trail off Cheakamus Lake Rd south of Whistler

Vancouver has SO many options. Again if you want to try some gnarly terrain look no further than the North Shore, Burnaby mountain is another option with smooth flowy difficult and also easy trails. The Poco trail in Port Coquitlam is smooth and scenic, a great one for an old school vintage bike ride, many breweries near the path, you can make a full loop out of it or just do a portion

I’ve missed lot’s but these are a lot of the trails I’ve spent time on based on living in Burnaby

I’m curious to hear feedback on your trip from all areas visited 🇨🇦😎

Let me know when your in town again and we could try to meet up

Last edited:
Sorry, should have been more specific, this trip is mostly honeymoon, so not much riding, but I've got a day pass to ride whistler bike park (Mecca for MTB, so can't not ride whilst there). If you're in Vancouver and free just now, I'd love to grab a coffee and/or be shown your retro (or not) fleet!

sorry can't cross paths with you today or tomorrow. have a great trip.
as canuckbiker said, let us know when back in town.

Sorry, should have been more specific, this trip is mostly honeymoon, so not much riding, but I've got a day pass to ride whistler bike park (Mecca for MTB, so can't not ride whilst there). If you're in Vancouver and free just now, I'd love to grab a coffee and/or be shown your retro (or not) fleet!
Wish I could make it work today but let me know when you return and we'll see about meeting up. I should have read your post more closely

As I noted, you've got a great lineup of stops. A Jasper visit it on my list as well.

Non bike riding idea's:

I love Whistler. Just walking the village is a treat. I'd recommend the Whistler gondola and especially the open air chairlift above it, on a clear day the views are spectacular. The River side hike I mentioned is a short drive south and just right for most people, it's a round trip mostly next to a raging river, I'd highly recommend it.

Enjoy the ferry ride when you head to the Island!

I’m up in Whistler. Drop me a message when you have an eta. Some good recommendations already mentioned. Lost Lake has great old school trails, it’s where I take my retro bikes. It’s a nice short walk from the village too.

Attachments

• IMG_3347.jpeg
    IMG_3347.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
@Woodsie we arrive in whistler on the 11th June. We should reach horseshoe bay around 12:45, and Google estimates 1.5 hours to drive to our hotel. So we should have most of the afternoon on the first day and could meet up on arrival if you're available?

I'll probably aim to rent a bike and make a pilgrimage to whistler bike park on the 12th, for which I'd be glad of the company and the local knowledge.

We check out of whistler on the 13th June with a 5 hr drive to sun peaks.

Back