Violent Assault leaves my Retro bike DEAD... what next ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
adi-66":140ky25k said:
PurpleFrog":140ky25k said:
BoyBurning":140ky25k said:
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but what relevance does this have in the scheme of things?

"Big Very dark african ish looking male..."

Unless you're giving us the description you provided to the police...?

People who have been through traumatic experiences tend to describe them as they appeared at the time. If the guy had been hammered by Arnold Schwarzneger he'd probably have said "Giant blond steroid abuser." The guy has just been seriously beaten up and may have feared much worse; it isn't the time to hassle for giving what you think is a politically incorrect description.

Thanks Purple Frog.... it want supposed to be a racist comment, but as ever people read too much into words on the Net. It was a description of what he looked like :?

After a traumatic incident you'll replay the images verbally and proceess them. It's an essential part of getting OVER the trauma.

And yes, if you're white and live in a society where most people are white and the guy who could have killed you was black, you will describe him as black. Do so. Part of the reason for talking and "processing" is so that you can get this up to the part of your mind that deals with this sort of thing rationally. Not talking about the fact that he was black is probably one of the best ways you could come up with of making yourself permanently scared of and angry at black people in general. He was black; the attack didn't happen because he was black; talk it through with yourself.

No, I'm a psych, but I have shared flat with one, read the books, and this is the Internet... And definitly but definitely, no one should hassle you for mentioning what your attacker looked like in way at all. If you'd said "Of course when I saw he was black I knew there'd be trouble..." or something like that, then people might want to remonstrate with you - but very gentlely, under the circumstances. But you didn't.

So sorry to hear about your incident.
You'll want a list of all the trick parts on it, and photos.

its been a bit of a mad week for stuff like this, see my thread street wars II :roll: always good to take a photo when you can
i saw a guy knocked of his bike on the way home blood runnign down his face. probley a full moon this week.
hope you get well soon, my head still has a bit of a bruise

Cheers for the support, its apreciated :)

I'm getting over it, although i'm not really up for Riding one of my other bikes anywhere near where the incident happened ! so thats Kinda ruled out my Daily cycle to work on Quietish roads :(

Just had a call from the Insurence Peeps... al they want as the bike is in there words "so old" and i no longer have the original reciept is a recent photo of the bike, and a valuation from my local GT dealer (will my local Halfords even know what a Xizang is ?!! :roll: ) and they will then send a cheque to relace it as I see fit.

Oh and whilst the nice lady was on the phone, she also told me that my Tag Heuer Glasses would be replaced like for like... as long as i sent a photo of me in them, and a reciept. thats god news as they cost just shy of £700 !! :shock:

So in terms of the healing process

Its god to talk...

and now that the Bike is on its way to be sorted as are my glasses thats a weight off my mind. :roll:

Guess i need to searching the classifieds.

There's several professional bike mechanics amongst us, I'm sure one of us would be able to give you a realistic valuation.

chris667":nmvm8v84 said:
There's several professional bike mechanics amongst us, I'm sure one of us would be able to give you a realistic valuation.

Thats god to know, i guess they need a "local" quote, I.e from someone that has actuallt seen the bike in the flesh, not just seen a few pics of it.....

But i'll bare it in mind.

Sorry to hear about the incident, not nice, and unfortunately something I have have to deal with on a daily basis, both victims and the offenders.

Depending on your injuries received, also bear in mind a Criminal Injury Compensation claim.

http://www.cica.gov.uk/

May help with replacing a valuable bike and making the situation more bearable!

Sheriff":7lvffd2c said:
Sorry to hear about the incident, not nice, and unfortunately something I have have to deal with on a daily basis, both victims and the offenders.

Depending on your injuries received, also bear in mind a Criminal Injury Compensation claim.

http://www.cica.gov.uk/

May help with replacing a valuable bike and making the situation more bearable!

Cheers Sheriff.

I'll give them a call tomorrow, and see what they say.

Dont suppose you know if any compensation awarded would reduce my chances of winning a case against the offenders if it went to court, do you ? I only ask as the PC's that interviewed me seemed to have an idea of who it was that atacked me, and they even muttered some names to each other, and mentioned a approx area where they think the Woman worked.... I've not plucked up the courage to go have a look yet thought, and even when i do i'm not so sure it would be a wise idea :roll:

Thanks Again, here's hoping...

When riding aggresively in an urban environment, one should be prepared to encounter zane and crazy people. You took a risk, and it did not turn out well for you.

I could imagine the story from the other view point, perhaps a little something like this:

So my man and I were stopped asking for directions, and another one of those crazy cyclist came screaming by, trying to get in where he doesn't fit in, damaged my car, then acted like it wasn't a big deal and I was in the wrong.

He was a big white (or insert any ethnic/racial description here) dude with expensive glasses and an even more expensive bike...must've felt entitled...well not this time. This has happened to me before, but this time he's going to pay.

So my man and I chased him down. I went up to him, and put my hands on him, then this big white guy(or insert any ethnic/racial description here) pushed me, that's when my man got involved, needless to say, my man wasn't getting pushed. It got a little ugly, but he shouldn't have damaged my car with his illegal maneuver.

my point is that there's two sides to every story, and if risks are taken then prepare to suffer unfavorable consequences.

I'm sorry you were injured and your bike was badly damaged. They definitely overreacted, but had there been no action to react to in the first place, this could've all been avoided.

civil court with the police report is the best way to go, this way you can sue to get your money back for the glasses and the bike.

The compensation is only sorted once the investigation is completed, and any court case etc is concluded. If the Officers haven't taken photos (sometimes depends on injuries) then take some.
Ring up and talk to the CIC people as they know way more about the process than I do!

What ever you do don't go looking around for the people/offenders. Let the Officers do what they need to do, as potentially you could hamper any court case in the future.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back