Vintage 1951 Claud Butler 'Massed Start'

afflier

Retro Newbie
View full add on Ebay

Frame number 511 608 was made in January 1951 and comes in Black with chromium chain/seat stay finish.

The frame is built with the original 1951 spec 40 3/4" (CtoC) wheelbase (later increased to 41 1/8" in post March 1951 Models - see drawings B1084 from 1951 and 1951 (March) catalogues)

After discussion with the VCC Claud Butler ME (Marque Expert) its likely that the frame has had a refurb at a Holdsworth shop at some point post 1963. During refurb the current Black enamel paint has been completed with 'new' (at the time) seat tube decals and CB head-badge in tin (both introduced in 1963)

Many of the components are originals, supplemented with a small number of sympathetic upgrades.

The sale includes the following
Brooks leather saddle (original)
GES leather saddle (vintage spare)
Gnutti headset (original)
Simplex rear derailleur (original)
Suntour front chainwheel derailleur
Suntour twin down tube shifters (including cable guides)

Gerry Burgess - Feltham components including:

GB Coureur side calliper front/rear brakes (original)
GB stem (original)
GB curved alloy handlebars (original)
GB brake levers (original)

There are 3x wheels (2x rear, 1x front) which are possibly British Hub Co 'Airlite' continental type
1x rim marked 'Super Champion - Made in France'
Wing nuts marked 'Reynolds'

Also included in the sale is a vintage Joseph Lucas Cyclometer

23" frame with 22 1/2" top tube.

This is a superb project for someone to bring back this frame and components to its original glory! The components alone will be a bargain for someone wanting a sympathetic restoration.

Notes
1. The cycle is disassembled
2. Full set of photos here

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
And the price is ???

And where are you based ??
Apologies, the link to the sale on Ebay is at the top of the original post

View full add on Ebay

The starting price is a meagre £150 - I'm reliably informed some of the components on their own fetch near this!

I'm based in Ipswich - I do travel around a bit so could potentially do a meet.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back