Vacuum cleaner recommendations.

The odd thing about the Dyson was that the carpet nozzle end thing never seemed to pick stuff up well. I swapped it for an old one off a Vax and it worked much better!

Re:

Henry. Dyson are the Klein of vacuum cleaners; do the job for a while but are pointlessly flashy, overpriced and fragile (I've never wanted or owned a Klein but I seem to have seen at least as many broken ones as I have working ones!) Numatic still manufacture in the UK, the cables and hoses are deliberately very long so that you can cover a huge area without having to unplug and shift to another socket, and most importantly to me you can get all the spare parts you need to keep the thing working.

Go for the Henry "Extra" with the rotating brush head if you have a lot of carpets.

Mmmm I've never though Dyson's as flashy, struth I canny afford Nescaffe never mind a Klein, all the vacuum cleaners seam to be about the same price whenever we've looked, as to fragile, you ain't met my kids :roll: you need more than a work horse for them and and our Dysons have proved to be that and more.

Just sayin :D

Alison

Anyone used the good old Kirby cleaner. I've seen loads on ebay and they are quite cheap. I've always wanted a Kirby but never justified the used car price they command.
I'd love a dolomite dyson.

Alison":2btdflkj said:
Mmmm I've never though Dyson's as flashy, struth I canny afford Nescaffe never mind a Klein, all the vacuum cleaners seam to be about the same price whenever we've looked

A very quick look on amazon shows Dysons to be roughly twice the price of a Henry...

as to fragile, you ain't met my kids :roll: you need more than a work horse for them and and our Dysons have proved to be that and more.

I haven't, but I have met my mother and I'll wager she's destroyed far more vacuum cleaners than your kids ever will :D Her Dyson kind of survived for the length of the 5 year extended warranty... only snag was that almost none of it was original by that point!

There are good reasons you don't see commercial cleaners and builders poncing about with Dysons ;-)

ajm":10qy61fn said:
Alison":10qy61fn said:
Mmmm I've never though Dyson's as flashy, struth I canny afford Nescaffe never mind a Klein, all the vacuum cleaners seam to be about the same price whenever we've looked

A very quick look on amazon shows Dysons to be roughly twice the price of a Henry...

as to fragile, you ain't met my kids :roll: you need more than a work horse for them and and our Dysons have proved to be that and more.

I haven't, but I have met my mother and I'll wager she's destroyed far more vacuum cleaners than your kids ever will :D Her Dyson kind of survived for the length of the 5 year extended warranty... only snag was that almost none of it was original by that point!

There are good reasons you don't see commercial cleaners and builders poncing about with Dysons ;-)

I guess it's just down to experience, weather you spend £50 or £800, neither of which I'd do, if you get a good one, you end up loving them, if you have a bad experience you hate them, ours is over 5 years, never had a replacement part, never needed a repair, sucks your hand off if you get it too close, OK slight exaggeration, as to what builders/cleaners use I haven't met any so cannot comment. In the end it's probably impossible to advise as everyone will have a good or bad experience of every sort, I think one just has to take pot luck and hope it isn't the bad one. I always, despite taking advise, end up with shite cars :roll: sorry for that moment of off topic :D

Alison

Buy a recon DC07 for about £90 with a warranty :cool:

We have had ours from new (probably about 13 years now) and at Christmas it had its first new part, a small tube from underneath. It was about £5 for the OE part delivered.

Two other parts have broken over the years but they have been free to fix. I tore the extendable hose at one end (just shortened it a little) and the small flat attachment broke on the swivel (it's now glued).

I recently bought a Henry for the car and garage - but only because the drive is cobbled and it's only a matter of time before the dyson topples and dints a car :-(

For 'house' work, particularly carpets, I think the dyson is better :D

WD :D

Re:

Henry. Cheap, efficient and last forever.
Or a Sebo if you want an upright that'll impress the Lady that Does.
Dyson? Not a patch on either. Suitable only for the disposable generation.

Woz":s5ndlxgj said:
Nothing sucks like an Electrolux

I think youll find that nothing sucks better than a goblin.

Dysons are powerful and dont expel much in the way of dust through the filters but theyre bloody well top heavy and pooly balanced and are forever falling bloody over :x

Latest posts

Back