Using an F tyre on the R - wrong?

Retro cool rebellion! Its important to see what works. . . Looking at the velociraptors, it specs a different orientation for if you're using it for downhill too. . . so does that mean you have to change your tyre round before you descend. . .
Ignore at your pleasure, and pump to 85psi for a fast ride home. .

In theory you shouldn't - I think fronts are supposed to be designed to give braking and lateral grip, whereas rears are designed more for traction grip than for braking grip or lateral grip. But it doesn't always work that way - Conti originally marketed the Explorer and Escape as a F and R-specific pair, but later on dropped the Escape and marketed the Explorer as F/R. I don't think they changed the Explorer design, they just decided it was actually as good as the Escape on the rear, so why bother with the Escape.

Good god........are you mad???....

Viz-Btm-Insp.jpg

It will probably ok on dry surfaces but when you hit the wet/sticky stuff especially up hills, I think it will be useless.

Anthony":2xtyqmzp said:
In theory you shouldn't - I think fronts are supposed to be designed to give braking and lateral grip, whereas rears are designed more for traction grip than for braking grip or lateral grip.

Surely braking grip on the front is the same as traction on the back? Just turn the tyre round. :D

But tyres like the Dart were definitely optimised for cornering and lateral grip, hence useless on the back.

But let's face it much of the tyre tread pattern stuff is purest marketing puff. They've always marketed road tyres with grooves to stop aquaplaning even though bike tyres are so narrow they won't aquaplane until around 100-200mph

I ran smokes front and rear BITD and all was good- whatever works for you, mind you- make sure you line up the logo with the rim stickers- I have been told that it is very important!

clockworkgazz":34q8tcka said:
I ran smokes front and rear BITD and all was good- whatever works for you, mind you- make sure you line up the logo with the rim stickers- I have been told that it is very important!

Nah, everyone knows you line up the logos with the valves...... :roll:

Don't they? :oops:

Many have said similar, relevant things. A lot depends on the actual tread pattern and the type of riding you do, apply common sense really. Say I'm regularly coming down hills at speed and into an off camber turn with loose gravel. I really want my rear tire to have good grip, but I also want it to let go before the front, every time right?

So it was a tip bitd to run IRC Mythos Fronts on the rear, flipped or not was a matter of preference, I did flip it. The fronts had more volume and grip compared to the rear design. The Mythos F tread pattern was made up of an array of small square tread blocks and provided sufficient traction too. Certainly in dry conditions there is no need for the large paddle blocks in the centreline of the dedicated rear tire. And FWIW I lived in the Middle East for a while, "dry" is an understatement.

But I would not consider doing the same with a Dart front design, flipped or not, simply because I don't see the same versatility in the Dart pattern.

Enjoy!!

bduc61":38dkvzpr said:
On the breezers, SMOKE was on the rear , DART in the front, dunno if Smoke was only to be used on rear :cry:

Smokes were never considered just "rear" tires till they made Darts a few years after the fact and started marketing them as "front" and "rear" sets.

Back