'unofficial' general driving comment and rant thread

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Got any driving related moans/groans/ comments?

Vent your spleen here!

I am compressing the equivalent of 4 years driving into about every 8 months having done at least 55,000 maybe 60,000 miles since May last year. I certainly do not consider myself any better or worse than anybody else, I have just as many bad habits! I confine my driving to between 9am & 5am - I simply wouldnt be able to function outside those hours as the roads become too clogged.

Soooo...

4 lane Motorways:

Are HGV allowed to sit in the 3rd lane? This creates a rolling 56mph roadblock funneling 4 lanes of traffic into the 4th. Am seeing this mostly on the old A1M and the new refurbished bits of the M1 and M25 - Patience and extreme care required.

2nd and 3rd lanes:

Cars and lgv sitting at 60 to 65mph in these lanes leaving lane one/ two empty - my bad habit is to undertake as I personally feel its safer than crossing up to 3 lanes to overtake some fast asleep driver. The law is a little vague but does state that if it is done with due care, it is the responsibility of the 2nd 3rd lane driver to be aware if returning to lane 1/2. Little or no use of indicators by these drivers - extreme care needed.

Drivers:

Reps/ salesmen etc in Audis (other German brands are available): 90mph is their slowest speed, woe betide anyone who gets into lane 4 (the big boys lane!) and interrupts their reverie as they charge through. Little use of indicators often replaced by hand gestures - avoid but fun can be had with 'guess the hand gesture' or 'how polished is my rear bumper?' games.

Young girls in small cars - fast whilst trying to emulate the TV adverts of sharp turns and exaggerated driving (so it seems anyway). Tailgating if you are in their way, not yielding if they have a parked car in front of them and your route is clear (add white vans to this too) - avoid if possible.

Mums in 4x4s:

Another 3rd 4th lane hogger, again woe betide them if you're in their way - usually found in the largest 4x4 currently on sale. they do not like giving way regardless of priority, Highway Code etc, they simply MUST get to school so Tarquin can get to his piano recital a further 1/4 mile down the road from school... No use of indicators no matter what - vehicles often propelled by sense of own perceived superiority over others - avoid.

White vans:

Pages can be written about these - too fast, too overloaded, no indicators whatsoever, multiple hand gestures, etc etc Just avoid all contact - avoid, brush up on Anglo Saxon if contact is required.

Older drivers:

...Are actually quite nice. Can be a little slow but often very well behaved. However, some can be driving at 38mph on a 60mph road which can lead to a frustrated line of traffic behind them. 60mph is not a target but 50mph is a nice speed - a good way to enjoy the scenery and motoring habits from the carburetor age...

HGV:

Mirror/ Signal/ Maneuver!!! Not pull out THEN signal! FFS! Not a common habit but often causes a mexican wave of brake lights.

More later.

I have a pickup truck with a 3" lift, 34" tyres, NATO towhitch at the rear and Pajero bull bar at the front. This means no one cuts me up. You often see them start to try it, the rapidly changing their mind once their brain has finished doing the physics calculations. Often the series of reactions is comical to behold.

As a result I can waft serenely everywhere utterly untroubled by idiots. What else they be up to I couldn't care less. Middle lane hog, overtake on solid white lines, I couldn't give a monkeys - doesn't affect me directly, so what should I suffer a stress cardio myopathy event over it?

I mist point out that my missus is a Mum and has her own 4x4. She has multiple sclerosis and is blind in one eye, and finds the seat height beneficial. In addition, because of her vision she has to work extra hard in heavy rain, snowfall etc because she has no depth perception - we've found a more planted car with better grip gives her one less thing to worry about in poor conditions, and takes the mental load off somewhat.Not every Mum drives a fourbie because theyre middle name is Atilla a and they like parking on zebra crossings.

In my experience, those who like to spend their time moaning about other drivers are often the ones who would most benefit themselves from spending some time on their own driving. Anyone who thinks their own driving is perfect and beyond reproach is deluded.

If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9, 10 & 16, MT(S)R regs 4, 8, 9 & 14, RTA sect 36 & TSRGD 10(1)

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

''I certainly do not consider myself any better or worse than anybody else,''

Nope, nor me. On the road I do what I do, try to do it safely, sometimes make mistakes, and couldn't give a monkeys what other drivers do. I think my life would be pretty shallow if I became indignant at what everyone else is getting up to.

Society is full of arses. Some of them have cars. Whatever makes them happy.

Re:

Just like most things, there is a point where it is natural to get riled.

For me, it is when someone does something that puts others at risk, no matter whether they are on foot, bike or sat in a huge artic.

If you are on a bike and you come hammering into the canal tunnel in the dark I will pull you off rather than end up with a mouth full of sewage.

If you pull out in front of me on a B road leaving me no time to brake safely I will go straight up your rear and let the insurance cover it.

If you insist on sniffing right up my rear on a fast section of B road I will stop you and sort you out.

I am never confrontational, but I will always stand up for my right to safe passage, and if you want to impede my passage I may let you willingly but don't take advantage repeatedly.

We know just about all our neighbours for miles, so most of our day to day encounters are not with strangers, but when we do have a coming together with a stranger it is more likely to result in a friendly kiss on the cheek after the action, thanks to our friendly demeanour.

I find the best way to dissipate road rage is to don a pink wizard's hat, aviators and light sabre, dressed only in lederhosen and welly boots full of custard, with a full compliment of nipple rings, adopt a glistening Christ pose in the middle of the road and proceed to dance the Macarena.

Your mileage may vary.

Re:

No problems here.

death_race_car1.jpg

I am a very friendly rider. I'll often give up my right of way, stop to let pedestrians cross the street, etc.
However cut me up or overtake me only to get in my way and I'll live up to the first part of my name. I really should put a bull bar on the front of my bikes. :facepalm:

Re:

Generally I'm not not fussed, certainly not to the point it affects my day.

Minor stuff that grates - people of leave the windscreen wipers on long after it's stopped raining, I can hear the screech in my head. Stop it please.

And tonight, a thank you to the pseudo off-roader 4x4 that pulled out in front of me, thus allowing me to find out that a whole host of electro-mechanical wizardry on my car works - box of biscuits for the ABS team in the office tomorrow.

Back